(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: house paint and spray guns

Default house paint and spray guns

Hi,

I am planning to paint my woodshop, which requires probably 1000 square feet of surface or so.

My questions are:

1. Which paint is best for this? Is it worth buying the $50/can paint instead of the $30/can stuff? My main requirement is durability. In other words, I hate painting, and don't want to do it again any time soon.

2. If I decide to spray, can I get by with a $100 Wagner sprayer, or do I need to rent a professional-class unit?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Default went with Duration

I was surprised that no one commented on this, because it seems that so man people have opinions on paint. The majority seemed to point to Sherwin Williams Duration, and as it turns out, that was what the previous owners used. At $40 per gallon it is not cheap, but seems like great stuff. Regarding the sprayer, I ended up hiring a painter to do the job, and he used a brush and said that you can achieve much better results that way.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

SOmetimes, people will spray, then brush - it's a little faster getting the paint on the wall that way. A brush can get more intimate contact.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Everyone I've talked to that tried a Wagner Power Painter thought the contraption was more trouble than it was worth. The painter I had do my house exterior eight or so years ago used a professional spray unit. The painter I hired about 18months ago used brushes and rollers. The cost to do the job was almost double by hand but the end result was remarkably superior.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Everyone I've talked to that tried a Wagner Power Painter thought the contraption was more trouble than it was worth. The painter I had do my house exterior eight or so years ago used a professional spray unit. The painter I hired about 18months ago used brushes and rollers. The cost to do the job was almost double by hand but the end result was remarkably superior.

Mort
    I think it depends on the job. I painted my 1400 sf ranch plus two car garage with faded aluminum siding with a $100 wagner and it worked great. Then I sold it for about $50.

What was the woodshop made out of?

As a sidenote, just because the paint is more expensive doesn't mean it is any better...

Go Local!

Paint quality varies wildly. Go with Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

You can rent a pro-quality airless spray rig for the day, for less than buying the wagner POS.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...