(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell&Gossett 100 Series Repair

at simplyplumbing.com

Cartridge $55
    Pump without flanges $68

Not a whole lot of difference between the repair parts and a new pump.

Flanges ..... those are the mounting thingies at the two ends of the pump, right?
    Last edited by xroad; 10-16-2008 at 08:30 AM.

http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl...d=Taco&cID=289

It's 59.99 for the whole pump. I contacted them to make sure it wasn't just the body w/o the cartridge. Total with shipping is 70. Ordered mine today.

When I need things like this I tend to use the "shopping" option on google search. It has ratings for the websites that come up and finds the lowest prices, sometimes it ends up being an auction, sometimes it's a website. Hasn't really let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_24 View Post
    http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl...d=Taco&cID=289

It's 59.99 for the whole pump. I contacted them to make sure it wasn't just the body w/o the cartridge. Total with shipping is 70. Ordered mine today.

When I need things like this I tend to use the "shopping" option on google search. It has ratings for the websites that come up and finds the lowest prices, sometimes it ends up being an auction, sometimes it's a website. Hasn't really let me down yet.
    Thanks. I understand business have to make money. I am a gung-ho capitalist myself. So I excercise my full right to buy or not to buy with no bitching and moaning about someone "overcharging". Thanks God for te internet that allows cheap ass guys like me to find the lowest price. I'll leave the other guys that "can't stand the pain" to pay the higher price. I am amaze at the big difference between the low price and the high price for the same product. My father probably bought his pump 16 years ago from the local plumbing supply store without question. I am sure he would have spent a lot more if he call in someone to replace the pump.

THANKS AGAIN.

Default Taco 007 F4 or Taco 007 F5 ?

Taco 007 F4 or Taco 007 F5 ? The two broken pumps I have are F4. The label said 1/25 HP. What is the difference?

The link I posted was for the 007-F5. I don't know off the top of my head what the difference is. You'd have to do a little searching to find out. Probably different amperage, flow, and maybe different physical size as well.

Default Internet

Internet = low prices, + shipping, + possible defective item, + plus cost to ship it back if it is, + plus the time it takes for all this to happen.

Just from the little bit of searching I did, the F4 and the F5 are practically the same thing. The Taco site doesn't even reference the F4 any more. So I'm thinking it's proabably been fazed out and the the F5 is a replacement. Same hp, amperage, size, everything. Might want to do a little checking for yourself, but the F5 is probably what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Internet = low prices, + shipping, + possible defective item, + plus cost to ship it back if it is, + plus the time it takes for all this to happen.
    That's why you buy from site with positive feedback and good reviews. I don't just buy from the first site I fall on. The site I posted had a 4 1/2 star rating and over 109 reviews. Very positive feedback. So I felt comfortable purchasing. The internet isn't completely full of scams and junk. There are legit companies providing good service.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I totally agree, but most of us still do it because the ratio of bad to good is still very low. I had my shares of inconvenience to out right scams over internet purchase. In the end, it is a good equalizer to a current $60 pump that my father paid $250 about 20 years ago.

Ok so I did the install on the Taco 007-F5 circulator yesterday. All seemed to go well. It's much more quiet. Seems to be circulating fine. But I do have one question. Is the body of the circulator supose to be hot? I figured this was normal because it uses the water for lubrication of the system. If I'm wrong then let me know. It seems to be about as warm as the heated water.... so I'm guessing it's pretty normal. I also didn't realize how much smaller is size this circulator was. It's atleast half the size of the B&G.

Yes, it's water lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_24 View Post
    Ok so I did the install on the Taco 007-F5 circulator yesterday. ....It's at least half the size of the B&G.
    I replaced the pump with the F5 pump this weekend. Worked out fine. This is the 4th pump in about 20 years. So the pumps last an average of 5 years each. The pumps were F4, F4, B&G, and now, the F5. I think I bought the last pump, B&G, from HD real fast without shopping around because it was winter and needed to get things fix immediately. Forgot what the cost was ... higher, lower ... Don't know if the B&G pump is better than the Taco.

I've had the same 007 on my system for 20 yers now.

Default pump

The three critical specifications for a pump are; volume, velocity, and head pressure. These three are usually mutually exclusive so you have to concentrate on one of them at the expense of the others. A high volume pump in a high head system could deliver less flow than one with a higher head but lower capacity. And a high velocity pump will create higher head pressure losses which could also diminish its capacity compared to a different model.

Default What Determines Longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    I've had the same 007 on my system for 20 yers now.
    What determines longevity?

The pump is mounted lower than the water level of the boiler. So, it is never dry.

It is not always "ON". Only when the thermostat kicks on the relay then the pump goes on. Would it make a difference if the pump is running constantly?

The boiler water is always brown, like all steam heat boiler. I flush the boiler at least once per month until the water runs clearer. Would the mineral (brown rust) in the water lowers the lifespan?

Final question, water temperature ... Steam heat boiler is at boiling point. Too hot for the pump?

xroad