Hand pump for cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

rcramp

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a cistern that is buried and I want to hand pump water from 5 feet below ground level to 25 feet above for a tank that I want to use for irrigation/flushing.
I realize that this would be too far for a 'shallow well' hand pump if the pump was at the highest level but is it different because the pump is lifting 5 feet and pushing up 25 feet? (25 feet horizontal as well)
What is the best hand pump for this application. I want 5 gal/min and want it to be hand/mechanical. Is this possible?

thank you

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A hand pump can push as far as your arm is strong enough. It just can't pull more than about 25-27 feet. This is because atmospheric pressure is just about the same as the pressure at the bottom of a column of water 30' tall.

Once you have a column of water that's almost 30' tall, atmospheric pressure can't lift the water any higher.

As for 5GPM, with a head pressure of 30', (that's 5' pulling and 25' pushing), A 1/4hp pump would work. A person supposedly can produce around 100 Watts continuously, a HP is 746 Watts so if you're in good shape, you could probably pump 2 to 2.5 GPM.

An Olympian might pump 5GPM for the first minute.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks