Sump Pump Venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

rioguia

Reaction score
I am adding a sump pump and tile trench to my basement (see link to photo below).

http://www.substantis.com/gallery/album71a/sump_pit

I want to use the basement as living space and obviously want to avoid the smell associated with a sump pit. I have purchased a Zoeller with a battery back up and a 36 gallon pre-fabricated pit with a tight fitting lid. If the lid seals in the smells, it seems that the pump must have a vent to "breath." If I need a vent, should I use option #1 (a simple vent through the outside wall that doesn't go to the roof) or option #2 (a tie into to an old 2 inch vent that no longer serves my floor drain)?

Option one is suggested by the manufacturer but this thread suggests this might cause a problem...
Sump pump vents/syphons toilet

Last edited:

rioguia

Reaction score
Clarification

Thanks for your responses. I am grateful for sharing your knowledge.

I'm not sure I understand Redwood's response. If you are refering to the the sump discharge, it will not be connected to the sanitary system (my appologies if my drawing is not clear). The sump discharge will drain into a drywell. If you are referring to the vent, then I take it that you are saying that Option One (the manufacturer's suggested simple vent throught the outside wall but not through the roof) will suffice.

Southern Man: Would you answer change if I was going to cover the sump cover with a finished floor?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your link in option 1 is referring to a sewage pump hooked up to a sanitary sewer. This was causing problems with a toilet. a sump pump cannot be hooked to a sanitary sewer, but can go to a storm sewer.

I would hesitate to rum a sump to a drywell. I would prefer a day light drain or, a storm sewer drain.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score

Southern Man: Would you answer change if I was going to cover the sump cover with a finished floor?

Not really. Clean groundwater shouldn't smell. If you've got something growing in there then you should clean it out with bleach and a tiny bit of Simple Green. You might need a little glug of bleach in there once in a while to keep it disinfected.

Normally a sump is in a corner of the basement, so you end up putting a little closet there. If this is the case put your first shelf about 2' off the floor and put a fiberglass grate cover over the sump hole. If humidity becomes a problem then you can put a sheet of plastic under the grate. I don't think that you'll be able to seal it tight enough to prevent the pump from removing the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks