Branch Circuit Partial Run in Conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't fish the runs (NM) from a laundry room addition the last couple of feet back to the service panel. The service panel is mounted on an exterior wall. Is there a code compliant way come in the side of the box the last couple of feet via conduit? As I understand it 2x12-2 and 1x10-4 NM would violate the conduit fill rule. Is it permissible to strip the jacket once the NM enters the conduit?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guilty of not provided sufficient information again. I believe 2x12-2 and 1x10-4 NM would overfill 2-inch conduit, and 2-inch is the largest I can run.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't run NM on the outside no matter what kind or size pipe you install

Understood. I take it then the right way is to run NM to a junction box, then THHN from the box in conduit to the service panel?

Bummer of a week for the electrician in the family to be out of pocket...

Thanks,

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
Power supply to Panelboard

Use type NM cable for the interior wiring to a "J box" and run conduit on the outside of the building with THWN or XHHW. The conductors must be suitable for a wet location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks