Resilient channel/soundproofing

Users who are viewing this thread

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has had luck in soundproofing or at least sound reduction using resilient channel when hanging ceiling and wall gypsum?

Questions:
Does it work well?
I've seen some website that recommend some special tape between the gyp-board and the channel and wonder if anyone's tried that?
Any installation tricks or advice?

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Resiliant channel goes a long way in isolating sound. The best setup is to put 5/8" GWB (gypsum wall board) on your studs like a normal wall, then the resiliant channel on horizontally on 24" centers with the tounge up. Don't use the hat channel, it won't work as well. Then you place another layer of 5/8" GWB on the channel. don't forget to seal where the GWB meets electrical boxes, pipes, penetrations, and the floor and ceiling for high frequency sound stopping. Also, add a layer of R-11 insulation in the wall cavity between the studs for more reduction.
There is a rating for sound through wall assemblies known as STC (Sound Transmission Class). The higher the number the less sound gets thru. A normal wall is STC-32 and the GWB-stud w/ insulation-GWB-channel-GWB has a rating of about STC-50. There are ways to get higher STC ratings in a stud wall up to about STC-65 in a 7-7/8" thick wall. Many sound studios have walls rated in the STC-60 to 70 range. Let me know if you want more info...

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
The channel that the gypsum warehouses have here is just referred to as RC-1. Wanted to make sure that's not 'hat-channel'?
I'm only going to use one layer of sheet rock, the RC, and the insulation.

So in setting my electric boxes I need to know the depth of the RC. Does anyone know? (I guess I can buy it and measure it, but I was going to order the gypsum, RC, insulation and mud and tape all at once for delivery- big boxes don't sell RC)

Second question is for the ceiling: Do I run the RC perpendicular to the joists or run all along the bottom? or either way is fine?

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
RC-1 is the right stuff. Always run the RC perpindicular to the studs or the joists. The walls can be every 24" on center, but the ceiling shoud be every 16" on center. Screw the RC to each of the studs using (2) screws into the meat of the wood stud. I believe the RC is either 3/4" or 7/8" thick, but the Dietrich site isn't working right now.

http://www.dietrichmetalframing.com/products/

Hope this helps.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Dietrich site doesn't give the dimension relating to the depth, but it does say it works by "suspending the gypsum wallboard 1/2" from the stud or joist"
So I think the answer is 1/2". I may use those boxes that I can adjusts the depth w/ a screw later on.
I've also read to be extra careful not to accidentally run a screw through the gypsum in the stud or joist because that ruins the soundproofing.
I wonder if the joints are more prone to cracking w/ the RC than with out it?

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
You're right about missing the studs with the screws that hold the GWB on the RC. I have seen many of these walls over the past few years and haven't seen any cracks. GWB is pretty flexible and will stand up much like it does on a regular stud wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks