Rust around overflow hole in tub

Users who are viewing this thread

lkrides

Reaction score
Hi All, we have a rental property that has a steel tub that has been leaking when the tub is overfilled. I tried replacing the overflow gasket and that did not solve the problem. I noticed rust around the overflow opening so i cleaned it thoroughly with a wire wheel and scrapers. After cleaning I noticed a couple of pinholes in an area that the overflow gasket will not cover. What should i use to repair the pinholes? An epoxy like JB Weld and cover with fiberglass or porcelian repair kit? Photos attached of front and back view. Suggestions appreciated.

Lee

Attachments

• P1000120.JPG
    P1000120.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,229
  • P1000122.jpg
    P1000122.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,116

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Time for a new tub...
That other stuff would just be slumlord repairs that would only postpone the inevitable....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I understand the realities of the rental market.

That tub is done for, but if I were the owner and wanted to get another year or two out of it, I would apply fiberglass patch to the back side, and goop the overflow gasket wity silicone.

You can try to cover the rust on the front side with touch up. But there is cancer here which almost surely will continue.

The tile above the tub, looks iffy as well. What substrate is the tile laid on? You are not far from a major redo of this bathroom.

lkrides

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I understand that the tub will need to be replaced in the not so distant future. We are just looking to get through a year with the bath as it is so we can focus on replacing flooring and other improvements.

The tile is on cement backer. In the pic the bottom level looks terrible with the mold in the caulk. The rest of the tile looks good. I'll redo the caulk with silicone.

Should I be looking for porcelain touchup? I have only seen acrylic/gel coat.

Very much appreciated!
Lee

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how tight the opening really is how many rows you need to remove. You often end up tipping the tub in place, so the diagonal measurement is the critical length. The tile and backer often make the opening a fair amount shorter. A tub is often very close to the 60". Measure the inside opening between tile and it'll give you an idea how much room you've got to play with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks