Bathroom sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

twilitemoon

Reaction score
My husband installed a new faucet in our bathroom sink. The faucet looks great, however, when we run the water, it does not drain completely, but rather pools around the bottom of the sink. It's a small amount of water, but nonetheless, it's annoying. Is there something we are doing wrong?

twilitemoon

Reaction score
The sink drain stopper is fully up. Hmm, I'll try to explain the best I can. When we run the water, the water does drain easily; however, there is always a ring of water that gets caught around the drain (the part of the drain that is in direct contact with the sink) -- the drain is not flat to the sink. My husband said that he cannot get the drain to be flat. My husband thinks that it will be ok if he lifts the drain up a little in order to allow a small gap between the drain and the sink for the water. Is that ok? Will that create a leak? Does it all go down the same pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

If he lifts it up a little it will DEFINITELY leak because he will not be able to tighten it. Did the drain come with a thin rubber gasket that he used on top of the sink? If so, remove the drain and throw the TOP rubber gasket away and use plumber's putty or silicone to seal it. The only other reason for your problem would be if the drain has a thick plastic ring, in which case there is not good cure other than to replace it with a brass drain.

twilitemoon

Reaction score
So, the drain is plastic. It is the plastic speed connect drain from American Standard. We had no clue that we would run in to this problem. How do we go about getting a brass drain? There are metal speed connect drains from American Standard -- would that remedy the problem, or is it also an issue with the speed connect drains? Can we contact American Standard? Can we get one that matches at Lowes or Home Depot?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

A brass drain would require a conventional lift rod and clevis. The plastic ring is thicker than a brass one would be which is why it pools water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks