(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: adding shower to half bath using washing machine plumbling

Default adding shower to half bath using washing machine plumbling

Hi,

We recently purchased a small house built on a slab foundation. We'd like to add a stall shower to the half bath. On the other side of the wall is the washing machine plumbing, so we have access to water and drain in the wall. Can we tie into the washing machine drain that is in the wall and not the floor? Has anyone done this? If so, how is it done?
    Thanks,
    Ronda

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Water (well, nothing) flows uphill without help, so to do it you'd need to dig a pit for a tank and a pump, and then you might as well just break the slab to do it right and let gravity do it for you. If the line the washer drain goes into isn't 2", then you have to find the main line or one at least 2" to meet code (drain pipe is inside diameter).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

NO you can't

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unless you want to step up into the shower, you should cut the slab.
    My sisters vacation cabin has a step up tub, and I always forget and darn near fall onto the floor everytime I step out.

Thanks Terry. Does the sink drain have a 2" pipe?
    Ronda

In many areas code would require you to get to a larger drain 3" or better to tie in. Even when not required it's a good idea! A washer can fill a shower quite quickly with a backed up line. 3" and larger pipes would drain a toilet.

Default shower

How many steps do you want to climb to get into the shower? The pipe in the wall should be 2", but it could go horizontal before connecting to a pipe that goes down into the floor. Until you know what you have any discussion of how much concrete to break, and that is the only proper way to install your shower, will be academic.