(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto tank loose and wobbly after pro install

Default Toto tank loose and wobbly after pro install

I just had a Toto Drake installed this morning by a professional plumber, and then left for work. When I got home tonight, I noticed that the tank has about two inches of play -- it wobbles forward and backward. So far, it is not leaking. I have an identical Toto in another bathroom (different installer) and the tank is rock solid. I am concerned that when the plumber gets back to me, he will say "that's normal for a Toto" or similar.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Is there a likely cause? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by rantfarm; 10-10-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

While they often don't leak, the instructions say to continue to tighten it. If you first ensure it is even side to side, then tighten about 1/2-turn alternately on each side, you'll be able to get it tight. I like to leave a little play, but just barely. You don't want to get it tight and then try to compress it...porcelain is brittle. But, it is plenty strong enough if you tighten it down evenly. For a quick guide, you could stick a thick piece of paper between the tank and bowl and then tighten until it just starts to generate some friction and you can still pull it out.

Now, whether I'd call the plumber back or not, depends. The instructions do say it should be tighter. It's an easy fix, but if you break it, you've got problems. Shouldn't happen unless it is either defective in the first place, or you overtighten it. As long as there is a gap (you can pull the paper out in my example), it shouldn't hurt the porcelain if you do it evenly side-to-side (put a piece on both sides near the bolts). It's easier to tighten it down if you lean on the tank while doing it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just tighten it.
    Pliers or a small wrench will do it.
    There are just two nuts to turn.
    Sounds way too loose to me.

I followed up on a Drake tank installed by another plumber that was loose today, 10/22/2008
    The tank nuts were "finger loose",
    I took out a wrench and tightened them "wrench tight"
    No more loose and wobbly tank.

I then took off the right closet bolt nut, and flipped the flat plastic washer right side up so that the snap on bolt cap would snap on. SNAP

Then I took a hack saw blade to the uncut left bolt, and did the same there.

All done.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.

I would call the plumber back...#1 you paid him to do the job...#2 if the tank is mounted uneven there may be problems...#3 if you break it you have no recourse...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just tighten it.
    Pliers or a small wrench will do it.
    There are just two nuts to turn.
    Sounds way too loose to me.
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I will go ahead and tighten it...very, very gently. The other Toto in the house has almost no space between tank and bowl. This new one has at least a quarter inch. Last question: could the installer have placed the big rubber seal between tank and bowl backwards, if there is a backwards? Could that account for the space?

Also: Thank you, Terry, for creating and running this site. It is one of the best topical sites of any kind that I have seen...and I write and design websites for a living. I hope it is giving you a lot of satisfaction and making you a good income. Cheers!

Default toilet

The tanks that crack over time, are usually the ones that are tight without any movement. The gasket cannot be installed backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by rantfarm View Post

Also: Thank you, Terry, for creating and running this site. It is one of the best topical sites of any kind that I have seen...and I write and design websites for a living. I hope it is giving you a lot of satisfaction and making you a good income. Cheers!

You are absolutely right! Many of us stumble onto this site seeking help with a specific plumbing question, and find it not only a helpful place, but also a really interesting site to visit regularly. Some great non-plumbing conversations here, too, and an amazingly supportive group of pros and DIYers.

Yes, thanks, Terry! This site is head and shoulders above every other plumbing/home improvement site I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The tanks that crack over time, are usually the ones that are tight without any movement. The gasket cannot be installed backwards.
    I tightened it up with the advice and courage gained here. It's solid now, but I think I'll back it off a quarter-turn based on the observation above about cracking...makes sense. Thanks again, all. I'll be lurking.

You should tighten it yourself.
    I recently had to replace the tank bolts because after 11 years the original washers started to fail. and it started to leak lol. Me and my dad repaired my toilet by replacing the bolts...

Tighten it, but don't overtighten or it will crack the porcelain. Even the Pros Make mistakes

DIY Junior Member 4thGenerationPlumber's Avatar

Do Not Over tighten!!! 1"-2" is way too much wobble but just make sure not to over tighten.
    Last edited by 4thGenerationPlumber; 12-28-2012 at 05:22 AM.