Flat Panel Radiators

Users who are viewing this thread

1890farmhouse

Reaction score
I plan to replace two cast iron radiators with Runtal flat panel radiators; one on the first floor and one directly above on the second floor. The existing hot water system has black iron pipe. What is the best way to connect new 1/2" copper for the flat panels into the black iron pipe? There is one set of Tees already connected to the supply and return lines for the existing first floor radiator. The second floor is a new room.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
These threaded connections? If so, I'd screw in a brass nipple, then transition to the copper. The pros may have a better way.

Adding a second panel, especially on a second floor, will probably mean you need to deal with balancing the flow...the lower one will get more heat since it will be harder to push enough flow up another flight. You may need some additional controls/valves to ensure both get enough flow to warm the rooms evenly.

1890farmhouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. They are threaded connections. I will probably add additional tees to the iron pipe to accomodate the upstairs radiator so it will have its own piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks