Support for hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakemembers

Reaction score
I'm installing some irrigation line and want to put in some additional hose bibs off of the main irrig. line. I'm planning to use copper for the hose bibs for strength and already read that where my PVC main irrig. line converts to copper I should ensure that the female connection is copper and not the PVC. So thanks for that.

I was planning to add some additional support by putting a support leg between the 90 at the top of the riser out of the main and the hose bib by installing a tee and a section of pipe capped on the bottom that would also be buried. However, since the tee has a stop in it keeping me from feeding pipe straight through to the bib, water will fill this leg and just stand there. Will this cause me problems later? Are there any other suggestions for supporting the hose bib without it being next to a structure?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Woodford yard hydrant for outside irrigation and hoses

yardhydrant_installed.jpg

I like to use a freeze proof yard hydrant.
I set a 4x4 treated post in concrete and use galv pipe strap to the post.
These also have a provision to lock them off.

The water shutoff is below ground with a drain.
When the handle is in the shut position, it opens the drain and the water in the standpipe drains out.

Open the valve, and the drain closes, and the water comes out the nozzle at the top.

Woodford yard hydrants

Last edited:

Jakemembers

Reaction score
That would definitely do the trick. But, we're already over budget and this looks like it would really hurt when my wife beats me with it. Also, here in Southern California, we're not concerned about freezing. Thanks for the input.

Lea

Reaction score
Where's that hose bib

If you do not have freeze problems water standing in the line should not be a problem for a hose bib or your irrigation lines.
Another suggestion is to place the hose bib BELOW ground level in a irrigation valve box. Make sure the bottom is filled half way with gravel. You will not trip or have to look at an unsightly hose bib. When it is not in use pop the cover back on the valve box. Don't moan about cost, they're very cheap and you won't regret it. That's how professional irrigators do it. :cool:

Y34clr.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks