(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: removing asbestos-covered pipes

By challenging laws we can improve society on the whole. Throughout history it has been done. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? The biggest thing an individual can do is to think for himself. The best thing to teach a student ( I am a teacher with all the credentials and have a masters in education, and MS) is to use his mind. The second is to have a sense of humor. (I have a PhD in that)

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. And, that sometimes, leads to destructive measures.

To ask questions is all part of the learning process and so is to challenge, the only crime is not to ask them. Maybe, that is philosophical but, I love Socrates.

You would be surprised to learn with less rigid rules how well society and kids do. Censorship is not a good thing, remember Hitler and his book burning?

Freedom is priceless.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-13-2008 at 10:32 AM.

There are legal ways to challange laws.

Talking

Don't jump down my throat, I am about to rip the tags off my mattress.

hnmaster, please don't get too frustrated. I for one appreciate your opinion and we all can learn from you and others. There is no guarentee that people will always do the right thing. I think most of us live in the fuzzy area NEAR the "do the right thing" side. We are not here to be the police. That is someone else's job. We can share knowledge here.

As far as removing and disposing of asbestos goes, what knowledge other than get a licensed abatement contractor, would be of any possible use?

As much as you might not like the truth, people are going to remove it theirselves, the reason why doesn't matter; what does matter is to teach them to do it safely. Even the pros will tell you that.

This reason matters... so, in the event anyone who comes in contact with the house (no matter who is the present or future owner) won't breathe in fibers. That could be plumbers, kids, furnace repairmen, painters, etc, you get my idea, right?

Sometimes you just can't be righteous it serves no useful purpose.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-13-2008 at 07:55 PM.

"Every law is an infraction of liberty." ~ Jeremy Antisthenes
    Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee. ~ F. Lee Bailey

Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Laws were made to be broken. ~ Christopher North

Even when laws have been written down, they ought not always to remain unaltered. ~ Aristotle

The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer. ~ Henry Kissinger

Christopher North:

1785 - Born on May 18th in Glasgow. His best-known work is in the Noctes Ambrosianae, an occasional discursive feature of Blackwood's to which he contributed the majority of the articles.

1812 - He published, The Isle of Palms, followed four years later by The City of the Plague, which gained for him a recognize place in literature, though they did not show his most characteristic gifts, and are now almost unread.

1817 - Among the first contributors to Blackwood's Magazine, he joined the staff and quickly became one of its chief critical writers.

1820 - He became a Professor of Moral Philosophy in the University of Edinburgh where, though not much of a philosopher in the technical sense, he exercised a highly stimulating influence upon his students by his eloquence and the general vigor of his intellect.

1851 - Wilson received a Government pension of 300. The following year a paralytic seizure led to his resignation of his professorial chair.

1854 - Wilson died on April 3rd in Edinburgh.

He was seriously, not a crook.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.

See where all that get's you when the lawsuits fly. If this guy, removes and disposes of the asbestos himself and someone gets wind of it the lawyers are going to eat him for dinner.

If you were aware of all the illegal things going on around us you might never get out of bed.

The fact that it is a law does not make it Constitutional, and if it is not, it is not is not a law. Does any one know if it is?

Have you ever cut across a double yellow line to turn to a store...you just broke the law. How about walking across a street not being in a cross walk? People break the law all the time. This guy is making a calculated decision and will have to take what ever comes from it...good or bad...personaly I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

If I had it in my house and didn't want my family breathing it and didn't have the $$$ to remove it I would ask questions find out what the procedures were to remove it, copy them as best as I could and out it would go...

OH well...What ya gona do...

JUST FYI according to the asbestos laws

Asbestos can only be disposed of in an approved asbestos land fill and that is where he may get caught.

Personally I would use the floor wax or at least a shellac based paint as an encapsulant. Wetting it will allow the loose fibers to flow with the water. That could cause a problem down the road.

I give up.

Actually, I have a law going to Congress. Right now the bill is being written by 2 Washington Lawyers and one Grad student. This law will prevent needless deaths from undiagnosed high blood pressure. It is going to mandate doctors take everytime, at every visit, all vitals. The numbers will change in, a) how many people succumb to a sudden heart attack and b) how many people actually have hypertension.

I am a firm believer of changing things when something is not right, I can teach and do. Here is a picture of my phone when the Capitol called.
    I never want what happened to my husband happen to anyone else. So, if you don't fall over and never get up; if you are around to see your kids grow up, see your kids graduate and marry and have kids of their own, it is maybe, because I cared enough to fix a wrong. Every doctor in every state will have to abide, unless, they want to break a law.

I walk the walk no matter what my feet are wearing.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    I give up.
    Thats good...because stress is bad for you...

here people can get all the opinions and make a decission on their course of action...no one is required to give opinions and no one is required to follow any of it...

kind of like the up coming election where the opinions will result in a course of action which will end up with a result...be it good or bad.
    Last edited by Cass; 10-15-2008 at 05:49 AM.

No no no, Cass, stress is good for you, it makes one grow, I am 50 feet tall!
    NOW, with my shoes on, lol, I am 50 feet 6 inches...
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-15-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Cookie, I have not previously followed your issue. But my high blood pressure was detected by my Dentist. I never go to the doctor. ( Well, I didn't before the diabetes!) but in California, there is some kind of law or procedure that your dentist is supposed to check your blood pressure at an annual checkup. I might never have known!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Cookie, I have not previously followed your issue. But my high blood pressure was detected by my Dentist. I never go to the doctor. ( Well, I didn't before the diabetes!) but in California, there is some kind of law or procedure that your dentist is supposed to check your blood pressure at an annual checkup. I might never have known!
    Let me know when they propose to put into law that prostate check as a requirement.

Jim, I remember you telling me that, and believe this or not; I checked, that is the only state where it is done mandatory. Then only dentists.

My dentist started using wrist monitors (2 months ago) actually, because of you and me. I told him about what you said, and he checked on his end, I checked with my lawyers.

He knew my husband well, and said, how much he wished he had back then been monitioring BP's. He would had saved my husband's life.

So, in essence, you are actually responsible for saving lives. My husband would never had been the last to have died because of this, now, hopefully, he will be. He would had wanted it that way.

Tim, could be alive today and I wouldn't be typing this.