Connecting lead pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

b3ck

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for such a great forum.
I have spent the last couple hours reading through several different websites, and found this one to be far and above alot more informative than any of the others hands down.

To the point. After removing a toilet that has rocked for the last two years I've owned the house, built in 68' on concrete slab, and during a full bathroom remodle, I made a mistake on the toilet waste pipe. The old flange had come 3/4 off of the pipe, and like an idiot, (that should of came here first), I just took a pry bar to the flange took it off, and stuffed the pipe until I finished the tub. A friend of mine, apprentice plumber, (who primarily works on new commercial, not residential), said that vertical waste pipe was a lead one, connected to what looks like a cast iron 90. He outlined an area around the pipe, and told me to go ahead and chip out the slab concrete, and we could work on it later.

Well, I had to knock out some concrete for the tub, so not a problem there, but I slipped a couple times, and punched a couple holes in the top of the pipe, and as the pipe already had already looked crumpled at the top I didn't mind, (at the time, now I'm a little worried), using it as a lever to help me chip the concrete away.

Well, the top 6" out of 10" of the lead pipe are pretty much demolished, but I can get a dremel down around the outside of the pipe to cut it short, but havn't yet. And the plan was/is to replace the top half of the lead pipe with pvc, and pour some concrete in to support the pvc.

After spending time reading up on this subject here, I want a third opinion, as I am starting to think my friend may be out of his element. And the first plumber that came by gave me an estimate of over $1,000 to fix the flange. If I do need to hire someone, What would be a reasonable ballpark, (closest $200 - $300 if possible), cost for a repair like this? If we do manage to get it repaired, I would definatly like some way to base a good tip for him.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

1. It appears that you are lucky, because you imply that you just have a straight lead riser into a cast iron 90.
2. If that is so, remove the lead AND the brass wiping ferrule from the elbow.
3. If he works commercial, or get a plumber who does, he can then cut a piece of cast iron the proper lenght and lead/oakum it into the 90.
4. Caulk a new cast iron flange onto the new riser pipe.

b3ck

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

And thank you for the proffesional reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks