1980 Delta 600 Single Handle Shower Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharry

Reaction score
My shower handle has a leak. It's a Delta from 1980. The leak originates from the cartridge that houses the control ball. I think I found the part at my local HD (#46074). Can you tell me if this is indeed the right part for this old shower handle and how to install it?

I've researched the issue and found out that there may be a "plumber's clip." Is that true? Or am I better off just changing out the ball and putting in new springs and seals? Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

Cap, ball, springs, and seats. BUT if the cap does not unscrew easily, and that one looks like it will not, DO NOT try to force it or you will be installing a new faucet because I will not be around to repair it for you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As HJ mentions, getting the cap off is the problem. If it is corroded on and you apply too much torque, you'll bend the supply pipes and ruin the whole thing. You might try wrapping it in a paper towel, saturating it with vinegar, covering it with plastic wrap and letting it sit overnight. It might dissolve some of the mineral deposits. If that doesn't work, some PBlaster is a good penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, a hack saw and some careful destruction should get the cap off without destroying the threads or the parts you aren't going to replace.

delta-tool-tyler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
After you dissolve some of the crud or PBlast it overnight, clean it up with windex, dry it, and use an old leather belt between the chrome and a channel lock pliers. The leather usually provides enough grip while protecting the chrome from damage. And remember, righty tight lefty loosie.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

GRIP is not the problem because the cap has knurling for that. The problem is breaking the corrosion which has the cap sealed to the body. Heat is the only thing that will loosen it, and then install the new cap which is not supposed to lock up that way.

Kharry

Reaction score
Ok. A plumber came in and repaired the faucet. He replaced two seals and the springs and the leak disappeared. He also looked at the other shower and determined that it is not leaking. This work took about 1/2 hour. He charged me $175. Is this reasonable? I live in Atlanta.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You usually pay a premium for the first hour. He can't make any money traveling to and from your home. That's reasonable. If he had stayed an hour, it may have been the same, and subsequent hours probably less.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

I always change the ball also, and sometimes the cap depending on its condition. No way to tell since we do not know the market conditions in your area. Here it would be about right for a flat rate company, and high for a time and material one. But, given the right conditions, the two situations could be reversed.

Kharry

Reaction score
Sorry. Yes, he changed the cap. He didn't change the ball because they don't malfunction in his experience.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks