(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Moen to Price Pfister

  1. #1

    Default Moen to Price Pfister

    I know this has probably been asked before, but I currently have a Moen Monticello roman tub faucet and would like to replace with a Price Pfister Treviso roman tub faucet. Is there any way I could take care of this replacement without having to change out the plumbing under the tub? I have already been quoted anywhere from $175 to $300 for replacement plus $160 to remove and replace the marble tub skirt.

  2. #2
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Nope. All the rough-in parts are unique to the different manufacturers. Did Moen screw another customer?

  3. #3
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Moen has plenty of styles that will work with the roman tub rough-in.

    They also offer free stem replacements as part of the warranty.
    Those seals are easily replaced.

  4. #4
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Nope. All the rough-in parts are unique to the different manufacturers. Did Moen screw another customer?
    I would ask why you say that?
    Moen offers a lifetime guarantee on function and finish.
    Problems are easily resolved by calling 1-800-BUY-MOEN.
    You call and they send the parts you need!
    They are probably the easiest faucet manufacturer to deal with out of any of them.

    There is not one manufacturer out there that allows you to swap trim with another. It would be by chance that it fits or, the base valve is common such as a Delta knock off or, a designer unit that is built on someone elses valve.

  5. #5
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    ....
    [1]Moen offers a lifetime guarantee on function and finish.
    ....

    [2]There is not one manufacturer out there that allows you to swap trim with another......
    1. Apparently not for their "builder's grade" products, as I have replaced 6 of 8 faucets in my home that were between 5-8 years old. They last just long enough to make sure there are no call-backs to the plumber who installed them.

    2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    .... All the rough-in parts are unique to the different manufacturers. ....

  6. #6
    DIY Junior Member shaolin_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    1. Apparently not for their "builder's grade" products, as I have replaced 6 of 8 faucets in my home that were between 5-8 years old. They last just long enough to make sure there are no call-backs to the plumber who installed them.

    2.
    Whether or not they are builder grade, Moen still supports them. For the most part, they have parts available for models going back to at least '96. If you have had a problem with the faucets, then you need to call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and at least give them a chance to work with you.

  7. #7
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_dragon View Post
    Whether or not they are builder grade, Moen still supports them. For the most part, they have parts available for models going back to at least '96. If you have had a problem with the faucets, then you need to call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and at least give them a chance to work with you.
    I've called them and they've sent parts for free. The problem was replacing them. I could hire someone to do that or do it myself, either way ain't free.

    On mine the problem was a plastic part between the stem and the metal handle would disintegrate, and along with corrosion deposits from the cheap metal would wedge themselves between the handle and the base threads, preventing the handle from being taken off. And the threaded metal handle is completely round in section, with no place for a wrench or pliers to grip. I'd start off using an old leather belt between medium sized slip-joint pliers and the chrome to prevent damage, and using a dental pick to remove pieces as they became exposed. Then had to go with a larger pliers, but the high torque started to move the entire assembly on the sink. So I'd have to take the whole assembly off the sink and put it in a vise. Of course the next thing that would happen is something would slip under all this force and I'd ruin the finish or destroy another part. Needless to say I spent a tremendous amount of time dealing with the first few of these faucets until it became quite clear that it was more cost-effective just to replace the entire units with brand new Deltas.

    I call this the "pro save ten bucks and cost me 200" situation and I find it all too typical.

  8. #8
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    The Monticellos did have handle connector problems, but better parts are now available. I never had that much trouble getting one apart.

    I am sure you are aware, now at least, that warranty on things like faucets only covers parts, not labor. A professionally installed unit would have labor coverage by the installer for 6 mos to a year.

  9. #9
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,243
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking Moens are trouble

    I agree with this fellow about the moen faucets
    and know what he has gone through trying to get
    those faucets apart without scarring them all up..

    they dont make it easy...

    all of thier faucets are nothing but trouble to get apart.


    If they keep sending you free parts but it is costing you an arm and a leg to get them changed out....


    I would change it out to a Delta before I would ever
    touch a Price Fister. .

    ..

  10. #10
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,653

    Default faucets

    When it comes to two handle faucets, I do not recommend either Delta or Moen. Too many easily broken plastic parts.

  11. #11
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The Monticellos did have handle connector problems, but better parts are now available. I never had that much trouble getting one apart.

    I am sure you are aware, now at least, that warranty on things like faucets only covers parts, not labor. A professionally installed unit would have labor coverage by the installer for 6 mos to a year.
    The house was built for a couple who lived in it for 6 months. It was on the market for 18, and faucet problems stared to occur about 2 years after that. In my opinion, "builders quality" items are made to last three years, which is 3 times the standard warranty. Again, the pro saves ten bucks and costs the homeowner 200.

  12. #12
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    I agree with this fellow about the moen faucets
    and know what he has gone through trying to get
    those faucets apart without scarring them all up..

    they dont make it easy...

    all of thier faucets are nothing but trouble to get apart.


    If they keep sending you free parts but it is costing you an arm and a leg to get them changed out....


    I would change it out to a Delta before I would ever
    touch a Price Fister. .

    ..
    I've almost always had a problem with Moens. The ones that I've owned all came installed in the homes that I've bought. Maybe its a reflection of "builders quality" items, maybe not. I have replaced these with PF because they have great styles and have not had problems, except for the white finish on a kitchen faucet. I have never had a problem with a Delta, either in diagnosing a leak, finding the part locally, disassembly or repair.

    I'm not an expert or a pro and I'm sure someone makes a better faucet but probably not for the price, parts availability and ease of repair.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •