Replacing Rubber Gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

twilitemoon

Reaction score
I posted a week ago about a black ring around the shower drains in the home we moved in to. Not knowing that was causing it, I tried using Tilex on a couple occasions in an attempt to clean it up. When that didn't work, I posted on this forum board and was informed that it may be the rubber gasket deteriorating. I am now concerned that with all the bleach, I may have caused the rubber gasket great harm. So, now I need to figure out how to remedy this. I really am nervous that I may have caused a minor leak by trying to clean it. Regardless, my husband nor myself have experience in replacing rubber gaskets. My husband is quite handy and has worked on plumbing on a ship when in the Navy, but he has never dealt directly with this problem. His original inclination was to seal it up with caulk, but I admit that I was hesitant. I am unsure that sealing it with caulk will help the situation if the rubber gasket is destroyed. I guess what I am trying to ask, should we hire a plumber? Is it possible to do it ourselves? How much would a plumber cost to do two tubs? How do I know if I have created a minor leak? I am going to post this in the shower/bathtub forum as well. Thank you all so much.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables in this repair.
Cost varies widely across this country when you compare a plumbers labor rate between Manhattan and Mississippi...
Also there is the variable of whether or not the drain comes apart and can be reused or, if it gets replaced...
As to whether or not you husband can do it we can't say...
That depends on his abilities.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The first thing to consider is that the should NOT be a rubber gasket in the drain on top of the shower floor, so the advice was bad or the installation is.

twilitemoon

Reaction score
Now I am really confused. Ok, here are the pictures I posted before for identification. The black around the drain is remarkably better than typical, since it was after a lengthy session of scrubbing. Whenever we Tilex the bathtub, it gets worse. I have no clue if it is the rubber gasket, corroding of the metal or soap scum.

Attachments

• DSC01388 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC01388 (WinCE).JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC01389 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC01389 (WinCE).JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 317

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
HJ is correct

No battle starter here, however, had Southern man looked at the installation instructions for the Kohler parts breakdown link he provided, he would have seen the rubber gasket goes UNDER the tub or shower and a bead of putty (as prescribed in the Kohler literature) goes between the inside surface of the tub and the drain piece. So the "missing gasket" is in fact a correct installation not a shortcut by a plumber. You know what happens when you ASSume something, right?! That being said, try removing the chrome trimpiece (they make a handy wrench for this you can get anywhere plumbing parts are sold) and see what is beneath that trim. I have found for some reason some plumbers putty after a period of time seems to collect mold. I don't know if that's the case here, but what I removed had a similar appearance. You can clean out the old putty, wash the surfaces up with some bleach, and put fresh putty underneath it to reseal it.

twilitemoon

Reaction score
It turns out that the black was from the corrosion of the Moen drain fixture. My husband removed it yesterday, and it was quite evident that the metal was corroding. He put a new one in with plumber's putty and other than a little putty that needs to be cleaned up, it' done! Thank you all for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks