Can I move radiator water pipes into ceiling?

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
My son just moved into a house built in the early 40's. In the basement the black steel (iron?) pipes that lead from the boiler to the radiators above run a couple of inches "below" the ceiling board - in full view, and requiring tall people to almost have to duck.
He wants to know if there's any reason why he can't relocate these pipes "above" the ceiling board so they'll be out of sight? There appears to be enough room between the board and the bottom of the floor above.

I'm obviously not an experienced DIY'er, so please forgive if this q is ridiculous. We're just not sure why they put the pipe in such a lousy place - maybe there's a code rule or something?

Also - would replacing this steel (iron?) pipe with PEX, or Copper, be a bad idea?

Thanks,
Donk

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can be done, but it won't be easy. Black pipe is built from one end to the other. If you cut it, you need special fittings to insert a section since screwing the pipe into one end would loosen it in the other. Dealing with old pipe is also asking for problems. It could be in great condition, but touch it, and things could start leaking or breaking, too.

The only disadvantage to putting it in the ceiling is if it springs a leak, you may not notice it for awhile. Or, if it crosses the joists - you'd never get it up there.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it's a steam system you absolutly can not change anything unless you know what you are doing.

donk

Reaction score
No, I'm fairly certain it's hot water and not steam. What about using PEX tubing to replace the black iron pipe? The manufacturer says PEX is rated up to 200 degrees F. But would it be as reliable as the iron pipe?
Thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Pex is fine but it has to be properly sized. If the existing piper are 1 1/4 you're going to have a hard time finding the pex and the right tools.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

There is no way for us to tell you if there was a particular reason for installing it that way, or if you can relocate it without causing major problems. PEX might not be the best idea, depending on what kind of a system it is, and the operating temperature which could be at 200 degrees plus/minus.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
My parent's house is about the same age as yours and sounds like it was piped the same way. Long story short, they were adding a room in the basement and had some of the piping replaced with copper to get it up as high as possible. This was 15 years ago so copper was alot cheaper, but I don't recall it being difficult or resulting in any major problem. I think they (plumbers) can re thread the old pipe if it breaks.
-rick

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing I would suggest, is NOT to use plastic (pex) tubing or any other facsimilli to plastic tubing in your hot water heating system.Copper piping is your best alternative to iron pipe (Iron pipe is the best idea),

There is no reason it cannot be moved, as long as you do not leave any air locks in your arrangement. The air needs to flow as free as possible to the rads into the upper floors for easy bleeding.

donk

Reaction score
Hee hee...
I was thinking the same thing. In fact I'm on the "right" coast - about as far away from Alameda County as you can be.
But I do appreciate all the responses I got. My son is taking them into account and will decide what to do soon.
This forum is great!
Thx,
Donk

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks