(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suntec A2VA-7116 leaking?

Default Suntec A2VA-7116 leaking?

I think my pump is leaking. I have a small amount of oil leaking from the burner fan housing on my Beckett 2-oil-line (hot water) burner. I checked the fittings and the gun assembly and cannot find anything else leaking. How likely is it, that the oil pump seal failed and is leaking oil into the fan housing? Over the summer, I've collected a couple of Tablespoons of oil. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I appreciate any advise on this. Thank you - Tom

Tom,

I don't know anything about leaking oil pumps but I once took off my oil pump, found it to be completely clogged, there as a internal screen in there that was filled with sludge/muck, cleaned it all up and put it together and it worked fine.

Might be something you could consider doing.

Sibi

Default Thanks Sibi

I will try that, plus a guy at Home Depot suggested raising the tilt of the gun assembly; supposedly a few drops of oil can be deposited in the gun assembly when firing stops, and if it is tilted back it run out the fan housing. He also said, if the pump blew a seal, you'd have a very big mess, not just a couple of tablespoons over the summer. Thanks for the reply - Tom

Titling the gun is something I don't know too much about but the new Beckett gun I have states in the instructions to tilt it back a bit when installing it.

So maybe yours is supposed to be that way.

Sibi

New definition of insanity. Working on oil burners with no instruction or experiance.

After just shy of 60 years I've found that DOING is a good teacher and when things get tough, ask questions.

Sibi

Just shy of 60 years I've discovered that fires and expolsions happen real fast.

So after just shy of 60 years you've learned about pyrotechnics and new a definition for insanity. Thank you for sharing that but this guy has a boiler problem, did he not come to the right place for help?

Sibi
    Last edited by sibi1972; 10-09-2008 at 06:19 AM.

No, the right place would be his trained and hopefully licensed oil burner technician.

THAT is fine and valid advise.

Sibi

Quote Originally Posted by TeePeeB View Post
    I think my pump is leaking. I have a small amount of oil leaking from the burner fan housing on my Beckett 2-oil-line (hot water) burner. I checked the fittings and the gun assembly and cannot find anything else leaking. How likely is it, that the oil pump seal failed and is leaking oil into the fan housing? Over the summer, I've collected a couple of Tablespoons of oil. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I appreciate any advise on this. Thank you - Tom
    The seal could leak and the amount of leakage could be small or large depending on how bad it is. Unfortunately it would be really hard to replace the seal and that means you are likely looking at a new pump.

I think my pump cost $90 last time I bought one... but that was a long time ago.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

The seal in a suntek or webster pump is not user replaceable.

Default update

The guy at Home Depot happens to be a retired Licensed Plumber. So far raising the gun assembly may have worked; I'm keeping the tray underneath just in case. BTW - It is easy to recommend using licensed professionals, but my wife and I cannot afford $100/hour professionals, who also double the price of materials; we're just simple country folks trying to get by. Also, I found that Suntec pump online for $55 (including shipping) at Patriot Supply. It is $85 in Home Depot. Imagine what the bill could be from a professional - maybe $270. Thanks to all for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TeePeeB View Post
    The guy at Home Depot happens to be a retired Licensed Plumber. So far raising the gun assembly may have worked; I'm keeping the tray underneath just in case. BTW - It is easy to recommend using licensed professionals, but my wife and I cannot afford $100/hour professionals, who also double the price of materials; we're just simple country folks trying to get by. Also, I found that Suntec pump online for $55 (including shipping) at Patriot Supply. It is $85 in Home Depot. Imagine what the bill could be from a professional - maybe $270. Thanks to all for your comments.
    Yes indeed, Imagine

What do you simple country folks do about the dentist and the doctor ? Or do you diy those things also?

Oh, I'm sorry, something as innocuous as an oil burner couldn't possibly hurt anyone, or burn their house down in the middle of the night.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me, things are tough in these hard times. Saving some money on home repairs where you can isn't a slam on those who do it professionally.

I'm here in this forum and I think this guy is also because we need some help and this looks like the place to find it.

From my perspective, if I do my own plumbing which I have done for many years then YES there is a professional somewhere that lost some jobs.

My real trade has always been as an electrician. I don't like to give electrical advise on forums because I don't know who will read it and what they might do with it.

At some point, when someone asks an electrical question and the answer looks to be something they cannot do, I usually explain that to them. And WHY. Even if it looks like it hurts. But getting mad at them because they won't call an electrician doesn't help anyone. That's how I see it anyway.

Just an example. Your rewiring the entire house, EVERYTHING is working out fine but your unsure about what to do with 3 and 4 way switches. So a little circuit advise is in order. That's not the same as the guy who needs a 220 line and doesn't know where to start. That guy NEEDS an electrician. But get mad at him because he wans't to save some money but cannot do it himself? Naw. I don't.

Sibi
    Last edited by sibi1972; 10-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.