Hotwater baseboard does not heat up?

Users who are viewing this thread

penguin933

Reaction score
What could be a reason why a hot water baseboard does not heat up as fast as the other ones? i have 5 rooms with hotwater baseboards. 2 of them dont heat up as fast as the other 3. The baseboard that does heat up fast is in the room with the thermostat so it turns off way before the baseboard in the other 3 rooms get hot. Could there be some valve i need to turn or something?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
distance would be one factor... the heaters closest to the hot water supply will heat up much faster than the heaters at the end of the loop.

penguin933

Reaction score
well i really dont hear water running there that good. The fins dont seem to be getting hot ethier. Tomorrow i Will ask my landlord if there is a valve or something

penguin933

Reaction score
well its happening in the other rooms too except for the rooms that are next to the room where the thermostat is.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The bubble would affect all the rooms in that loop.

Is there more than one zone?

I had a ranch house with a single zone system. It had two loops, each serving a side of the house, with a common return line. If one side got a bubble that entire side of the house would be cold.

penguin933

Reaction score
the house is a 3 family apartment built in i think 1908. there are 3 floors. The furnaces are in the basement.

There are 3 of them one for each floor. There are 4 hot water tanks in the basement as well one for each floor and one for the wash machine i believe. We just turned the furnaces on for the winter. The landlord likes them off in the spring + summer. The hotwater tanks are like this but this isnt a picture of my tank its like that one.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08241A.JPG

penguin933

Reaction score
I found this on the deed page

Heating Type: Water
Fuel Type: Gas
System Type: Basic

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
the house is a 3 family apartment built in i think 1908. there are 3 floors. The furnaces are in the basement.

There are 3 of them one for each floor. There are 4 hot water tanks in the basement as well one for each floor and one for the wash machine i believe. We just turned the furnaces on for the winter. The landlord likes them off in the spring + summer. The hotwater tanks are like this but this isnt a picture of my tank its like that one.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08241A.JPG

In a furnace, flue gas acts on a heat exchanger full of air that is then circulated directly through the house. That's not what you have.

In your building, the space heating is done by gas boilers. The hot flue gas acts on a heat exchanger filled with water. The water is then pumped to the radiators.

The tank that you showed me is a domestic hot water tank. It heats your water that you use for washing. These systems are unrelated to the space heating systems.

Does the boiler heating your floor have one zone or several. I'm guessing that it is one. You could, however, have two or more loops as I described for my ranch home. Each loop should have an air release valve located at its highest end, as well as a separate hand-operated valve that can be used to reduce the flow through that loop. These can also be used to diagnose and sometimes solve problems.

penguin933

Reaction score
Hmm i have to take a look i will post back in a couple of hours as i am busy right now.

penguin933

Reaction score
I didnt see any loops then again it was dark outside and the basement lights are dead. I will look again tomorrow. I did see a puddle of water behind the boiler though. The other boiler had water behind it too.

The first room where the copper pipes that bring hot water into is in the kitchen. The kitchens baseboard barly gets hot.

So i think there is a loop i will look again tomorrow when there is light. And there is only one zone in the boiler too.

Is the puddle behind the water normal?

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I didnt see any loops then again it was dark outside and the basement lights are dead. I will look again tomorrow. I did see a puddle of water behind the boiler though. The other boiler had water behind it too.

The first room where the copper pipes that bring hot water into is in the kitchen. The kitchens baseboard barly gets hot.

So i think there is a loop i will look again tomorrow when there is light. And there is only one zone in the boiler too.

Is the puddle behind the water normal?

Check to see if you have manually operated valves in the lines circulating water to the radiators. There should be one for each loop.

Water on the floor means something is leaking, which isn't uncommon, but not "normal". A lot of times the T&P valves leak. A little bit isn't going to hurt anything.

penguin933

Reaction score
HI
Sorry for not replying in a month, I went on vacation and was very busy the last few weeks.
Its now in the 30s here everyday and the teens at night. A couple of rooms are very cold because the heat still works poorly.

The landlord said its a one zone furnace and there are no loops. He said to bleed the radiators but i dont have radiators in my apartment they are baseboards.

The baseboards in the cold rooms do get hot after 20Mins but that is when the furnace turns off. It takes about 8Mins for the rooms where the heat works very good to get very hot like that ones at my old house. (14 Year old house). So could it be distance? I am going to take another look in the basement in a few mins.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why is your landlord not taking care of this? That's what you pay rent for isn't it?

penguin933

Reaction score
The thing is he knows nothing about furnaces he has this guy take care of him but he is out of town until december.

penguin933

Reaction score
I think it is a valve issue. I felt the return valves in the other 2 furnaces and they were hot and i can feel the water stream in them. My return valve is not that hot and i can feel little water going thourgh it.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The question still is.. So what? are you going to buy the parts and do the repair? Tell the f'ing landlord to call a service man or you will stop paying the rent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks