Pipe threads for angle valves

Users who are viewing this thread

nirugpatel

Reaction score
I want to replace the old angle valve for faucet as well as toilet since they are really old and leaking. I was able to remove the valves but not the "o" ring that holds the nut on the copper pipe. I tried the tools from local hardware store but failed. Then I thought of leaving the nut and "o" as it is and replace valve only. But found that the threads do not match with new one. The local hardware guy says they do not make them anymore. But I found that the threads are exactly same as the one on new washiing machine faucet which are currently available.( which means those threads are still being used ).
So what should I do to replace old valves ? They are not repairable. I am also wondering if I could cut that "o" ring without damaging the pipe ?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That ring is a compression ring and when it was installed, it slightly deformed the pipe so that is not removable other than by cutting the pipe and installing a new nut and ring. I would suggest you try a full line professional plumbing supply house and try to find valves with right threads. Otherwise, it would seem that you would have to cut the pipe below the ring so a new nut and ring can be installed. This would be the easiest if you have access to enough pipe to make the cuts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
compression sleeve puller

sleeve_puller_2.jpg

Compression sleeve puller to remove the nut and brass sleeve

Or you could get a good "sleeve puller" and remove the brass sleeve.
We pull them all the time. It's just one of the tools in the bucket that gets used a lot.
There is nothing better than a new wall plate and shutoff valve.
Nice shiny chrome instead of that old rusty nasty stuff that's been there 20 years.

We must replace 15 shutoff valves a week this way.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. That sleeve puller is not a tool in most DIY tool boxes. I'll remember that one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Gary,
I've found that most plumbers don't have it either.
It's really only a tool that service plumbers may have.

If your dogs are sleeping, this is the fix.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a ferruell puller??

are you talking about pulling a brass compression ferruell off a copper pipe and then changeing out the 1/2 chrome compression nut going on a coppper water pipe??

I have never seen or heard of a tool that would do that.....if that is what you mean...

it would seem like an impossible feat to accomplish , without risking damageing the copper pipe either at the compression spot or in the wall..

I dont think I got the guts to attempt it.....

another approach I have done ---
go to wal mart to the Automotive section and buy a small bottle of
car touch up paint about $2.50 in bright silver...chrome....

if the valve still works ok, just paint it to look pretty and forget about it...

it will make it look good as new.

and no one is going to be sticking their heads down there too often to tell the difference anyway...

let sleeping dogs lie.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
just paint that sleeping puppy

that looks something like a flaring tool..

and if you didnt tell me what it was I would have guessed that it was one.

I have never seen one before, it does not look like it would fit in tight spaces either.

honestly , I dont think I would have the guts or intestinal fortitude to try that tool out....

the risk is not worth the reward.....
especially when a little chrome paint would probably make it look good enough..

I think I will stick with the bright chrome paint

I have painted copper nipples sticking out for toilet lines and under pedistle lavs many many times and no one ever knew the difference....

and this dirty dog aint gonna learn any new tricks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Common Man!

Just buy the D*** tool and try it.

It's not that big a deal to change em.

ferrule-blaster-2.jpg

For you Mark, picture added 2018
This tool is a dream to use.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I would never need it

your water is probably natrually soft in the north west...

that might be why this tool works ok,

though I have seen the brass ferrules

where they have actually sort of compressed down into the copper a bit too...

I dont see how it can pull one off that has really been tightend down good. without stressing the copper...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suppose it works if you claim it does.... but I am not going to buy one anytime soon jsut to experiment with it.

in the midwest, the lime and calcium build up on the pipes and fittings is almost unreal. I doubt with all lime on everything wether it would work of not.

I honestly have never even seen one sold around here.

It just looks less risky to just change the valve body and re-use the existing nut. I have done that many times ..

then if the escuption has to be changed too, just cut it off and install one that is a two piece style that can just be clamped onto the pipe.

but whatever works is ok.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tool

I guess in your section of the country they never used the coarse thread angle valves that will not interchange with the new ones. If you had ever encountered one of those valves, either you forced the nut on the valve, creating new threads in the process, or you would have found that tool, or a similar one, especially if it WERE in a tight space, such as inside a 30" or 36" toilet recess with walls on either side. As far as painting goes, you can paint the valve and nut any color you want to.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
brass craft and teledyne

mostly you see Brass Craft and Teledyne angle compression valves around here.... most seem to be interchangealbe..... In fact they have the same threads as the standard compression couplings so its no big deal to just change out the calve to the old nut on the pipe...

I would like to try that tool just for fun someday,

on second thought
I would rather go fishing and forget the whole thing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Once again we see how much our trade differs regionally. M.P. Mark has never seen the tool that I find indispensable. I have the same one as Terry, except mine is not pretty red like his! It works much better than the handle-puller-with-insert, and I have never found a location where it would not work ( once I squeeze my butt into the kitchen cabinet, the rest is easy!)

It is true that if a compression ring is overtightened on original installation, the pipe can be deformed and that can be a problem. But with all those old coarse thread valves out there, you just have to be ready to deal with it. I cannot imagine painting a copper stub out, but if it works for you, so be it!

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
painting the stubb outs

its just touch up paint like used on cars.....

it lasts forever, and it works wonders on some
really nasty copper pipes

like mentioned earlier, what happens when you get one that
some gorilla tightend down on??

will it damage the pipe if you try too hard to get it off??

very rarely do I ever have to change out stops
anyway,

and on another note, if you have the length, I would rather
just cut the damn thing off and j intstall another complete
stop an a section of fresh pipe.

it all still flows downhill on both coasts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks