(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What would magnetize a receptacle?

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Joisey
    Posts
    143

    Default What would magnetize a receptacle?

    Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

    BTW not a single box in this house is grounded.

  2. #2
    Electrician Chris75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Litchfield, CT
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

    BTW not a single box in this house is grounded.

    Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Joisey
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.


    I removed a box and the corresponding wires in a junction box that had both the removed box and the microwave receptacle downstream (separate streams).

  4. #4
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    What would magnetize a receptacle? Nothing

  5. #5
    Electrician Chris75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Litchfield, CT
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    What would magnetize a receptacle? Nothing
    Plastic magnet?

  6. #6
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    ...

    BTW not a single box in this house is grounded.
    I grew up in an old house like this. I'm guessing that you have plaster walls with metal lathe as well. I'm also guessing that you have a hot wire connecting to the wall somewhere. Electrical flow through iron (the steel lathe) will make a magnet.

    You need to call an electrician and find out where the leak is.

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Joisey
    Posts
    143

    Default Plaster walls but.....

    ....wood lathe.

    Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.

  8. #8
    DIY Hillbilly Southern Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    ....wood lathe.

    Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.
    Old homes tend to have a mixed bag of circuits. There could be a lot going on. The magnetic effect still points to a current leak somewhere. Old plaster is reinforced with all kinds of materials (my sister discovered horse hair in hers), and a lot of things can carry electricity. You should shut off all your appliances and lights, and see if the area is still magnetic. Also look at your meter and see if its still moving. If it is, then turn off all breakers until it stops moving, and find out which one is using electricity without anything turned on.

  9. #9
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,633

    Default outlet

    How do you "observe" the magnetization?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •