(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What would magnetize a receptacle?

Default What would magnetize a receptacle?

Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

BTW not a single box in this house is grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.

I removed a box and the corresponding wires in a junction box that had both the removed box and the microwave receptacle downstream (separate streams).

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

What would magnetize a receptacle? Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    What would magnetize a receptacle? Nothing
    Plastic magnet?

I grew up in an old house like this. I'm guessing that you have plaster walls with metal lathe as well. I'm also guessing that you have a hot wire connecting to the wall somewhere. Electrical flow through iron (the steel lathe) will make a magnet.

You need to call an electrician and find out where the leak is.

Default Plaster walls but.....

....wood lathe.

Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.

....wood lathe.

Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.
    Old homes tend to have a mixed bag of circuits. There could be a lot going on. The magnetic effect still points to a current leak somewhere. Old plaster is reinforced with all kinds of materials (my sister discovered horse hair in hers), and a lot of things can carry electricity. You should shut off all your appliances and lights, and see if the area is still magnetic. Also look at your meter and see if its still moving. If it is, then turn off all breakers until it stops moving, and find out which one is using electricity without anything turned on.

Default outlet

How do you "observe" the magnetization?