basement rough-in questions

Users who are viewing this thread

bmense

Reaction score
We have the following layout for a basement rough-in. In reviewing the placement of the water closest, 2" shower drain, and the lavatory I'm confused on how to layout the three. It appears to me that they have missed placed the 2" shower drain as I don't have enough room for all three. Any ideas on how to get all three items into a bathroom? There are no walls yet so we are free to place them anywhere. Except for the concrete walls which are what are depicted in the drawing.

If the 2" drain is in the way, I can remove it as it's not required. Is the best way to remove it to cut it off slightly below surface level, stuff it with a rag and then fill over the top with concrete?

P.S. I'm hoping that I have the image import figured out.

Attachments

• basement2.JPG
    basement2.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:

bmense

Reaction score
jkdimes, thanks for trying to stir some action. I'm still stuck on this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
my suggestion

might I suggest a sledjehammer??

sometimes these things are jsut slappped into the floor
for someone else to figure out later....

not a lot of thought put into the basement
rough by the original plumber

basically if it dont work the way you would like it to,
you are just going to have to start by moving the pipes
to where the layout pleases you wife the most. :D

bmense

Reaction score
I guess I'll be covering up the shower drain. I figured that was what I going to need to do. It seem to strange of a layout to me.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Brian

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

The toilet opening is 1'6" from the wall so it was designed for a 6" wall which would enclose all the pipes. The toilet needs at least 15" from its center line, and since you have 3'3", that would leave 24" for the shower to the drain center. Taking the 6" wall off the shower opening gives you 3', which means you can use a 72" x 48" shower as the maximum, or a 72"x36" which is a standard unit, and have more room for the toilet. The sink would have to go to the left of the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks