am I saving money this way?

Users who are viewing this thread

sibi1972

Reaction score
10 years ago I replaced my 60 year old, oil fired hot water boiler. It had a input rating of something like 125,000 btu's. I put in a 75,000 btu Peerless because that was bigger by more then 15 percent over the heat loss calc I did, which already had 10 percent added for those COLD days to come. Along with that I broke things up and added 3 more zones to reach 6 in total.

So far, so good as far as heating the house goes.

But would I have used less gallons of oil per winter if I had put in a larger boiler, like what I had, 125,000 btu's? Or would that have been a waste of oil?

I've gotten into long arguments with guys over this. What do 'ya think?

Sibi

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

Unless the boiler was undersized and never shut off when the weather was cold, (in which case you would have saved fuel), the end result should be the same. The larger boiler would have heated faster, so it would shut down sooner. The smaller one would run longer, but since it was using less fuel per minute/hour, it would still be about the same.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Short cycles are harder on the equipment and some wasted heat goes up the flue after it completes the cycle, so longer cycles means less waste as well.

sibi1972

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the info. I always thought that the min. size boiler that does manage to maintain itself would be less expensive to run. I guess it's a push in a wider range of sizes then I thought.

Thanks again.

Sibi

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The most efficient boilers are those that can adjust to the heat load (a modulating - condensing boiler). Some can adjust down to as low as 20% of their maximum. This allows it to run nearly continuously during the heating season, just meeting the building's needs and maintaining a nice even comfortable temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks