(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What a Mess, How to Repair?

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member molo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    cold new york

    Default What a Mess, How to Repair?

    Took off the wall-paper in my bathroom.

    Some came easy, some not.

    The drywall paper tore (in pictures). In the past I've used joint compound and the fibers show through when I sand.

    Is there a technique or product that I can use to repair these torn spots?

    Thanks for any replys!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

  2. #2



    I had a co-worker who told me about a mesh he had used on entire bad walls, said it came on rolls and after putting it on the wall, you skim coat it with joint compound and sand it. That skim coating thing doesn't sound easy to me and I don't know much more but there's SOME kinda product out there.

    In the hopes this helps.


  3. #3
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    Depending on how you want it to look when finished...you can use dry wall mud on the holes or reboard over the existing wall with 1/4" dry wall and mud and tape...and of course you can remove the old board and reinstall new.

  4. #4


    There is a product out there, I think, HD carried it, where it is like a wallpaper and used for bad walls. My brother and I did it on his walls in a bedroom, and it came out really nice. It comes either in textured, or a flat surface, and is paintable.

  5. #5
    Jack of all trades frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Brooklyn, NY and Fire Island, NY


    As long as the actual drywall is still sound, and you're only talking about the occasional torn-off paper, you can just skim-coat it. Use regular (NOT lightweight) drywall compound, the widest trowel or taping knife you can control, and remember: many thin coats are easier than trying to build it all off & having to sand excessivelly...

    The 4-ft-wide mesh is for old plaster walls, when it's spiderwebbed really badly & you need to hold it together some... you shouldn't need anything on these walls, judging by your pics.

    Any paper that bubbles up when you skimcoat it - just open up the bubble, for now - let the compound dry, THEN tear off the loose paper and recoat. If you try to tear it off when the plaster's still damp, it'll turn into a mess (don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this one), you'll end up pulling off sound paper.
    Last edited by frenchie; 10-04-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    Master Plumber Mark:

    there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

    it smells like......victory......

    do not hit your thumb...
    Just so everyone's clear: I'm the POODLE in the picture ("french", get it?) The hot woman is my wife.

  6. #6
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default holes

    IT is no different than patching a hole in the wall. Use tape over it or get one of the adhesive mesh repairs, then cement over it, taper the patch, and sand it.

  7. #7


    So much easier to buy the paper, put it on, paint it, and go watch the game.

  8. #8


    Skim coat with drywall mud.....easy

  9. #9
    DIY Member CharlieM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006


    For lots of damaged paper and nicks/gouges, I found the best method is to sand things lightly getting all of the loose edges removed. Then go over it with something like Zinsser Gardz to seal it all, followed by skim coating with drywall mud. The sealant will help keep the mud from bubbling.

  10. #10
    I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Huntington Station, NY

    Default Charlie is absolutely right............


    Look at the description for what Gardz does.

    I was going to suggest their white shellac, but who needs the smell.


  11. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    IT is no different than patching a hole in the wall. Use tape over it or get one of the adhesive mesh repairs, then cement over it, taper the patch, and sand it.


  12. #12
    DIY Member chrisexv6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008


    Yep, been there done that.

    My whole house was wallpapered when we moved in (bathrooms included, ugh!!)

    Maybe 1 or 2 walls were "sized" before putting the paper up, so taking the paper down led to a whole bunch of patching over exposed drywall paper (the brown part, not the normal white surface of drywall). Sanding down the fibers then using thin layers of compound seemed to work best. I didnt know there were products out there to help with this type of issue, but if there are anything is probably worth a shot over layers and layers of compound!!

    At one point I thought about ripping it all down and starting over, but since Im no good at taping it would have been a major chore. Hindsight says it would have been a better idea to do it (so I could insulate better, etc) but its too late now!!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts