Install question?

Users who are viewing this thread

kc1121

Reaction score
As I previously posted, I'm planning on replacing 3 old toilets w/ 3 Toto Eco-Ultramax toilets. The house was built in the 70s and has linoleum floors. If I yank out the old toilets and install tile over the linoleum -- will I have any issues w/ just dropping in the new toilets and hooking them up?

Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the wax rings and flanges are designed to mate properly when the toilet flange is mounted on TOP of the finished floor. Adding tile and a backer board, and maybe some ply to strengthen the floor would mean the flange is now recessed, maybe a fair amount. Ideally, you'd move the flange after tiling. A less desireable thing is to add extention rings. The last choice would be thick wax rings.

When installed per design, the wax ring is squished down to a thin layer. As the flange gets futher from the toilet horn (as when it is recessed in the floor), that area gets filled with wax. Wax isn't as strong in a thick layer as a thin one surrounded by hard materials. Aggressive plunging could cause a blowout, or things might slip during installation, creating problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

The answer to your question depends on how thick the new tile will be. Vinyl tile will not create any problems. Ceramic tile will make the flange lower than optimum, but not necessarily a problem, depending on how far down it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks