(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement Toilet Drain

Default Basement Toilet Drain

I just built a house last year and had a bathroom stubbed in. I am now considering putting the bathroom in but I have found that the toilet drain that is coming out of the slab is only nine and half inches from the studs. I believe that it should be twelve and a half inches. Besides ripping up the concrete and moving the drain out three inches what other options are there? Also, if I do move the drain using two elbows, what should I be concerned about?

I forgot to mention that this measurement is to the center of the drain.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would give you only 9" after drywall.
    That severly limits you.

I would break concrete and move the drain out.
    Without seeing a picture, it's hard to say which fittings you will need.

Default toilet

10" toilets typically have very little latitude so unless the finish dimension was exactly 10" or more you would probably have a problem unless you move the opening. Whether you need a coupling, 1/16 bend, or 1/8 bend will not be apparent until you open the floor and see what you are working with.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmax999 View Post
    .... nine and half inches from the studs .... what other options are there?
    Move studs, shrink them, reduce them, remove them altogether etc. I'd work on the studs first.

-david

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It sounds like the plumber didn't plan for a studwall at all. If you can move it, that certainly would make things easier.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Do what you have to do to get a flange in the right position. If you can do it by moving studs, that would perhaps be the simplest way to go, but if that isn't a good option, it's time to break out concrete. Breaking concrete out of a floor isn't the most fun thing to do on a weekend, but it really isn't as bad as one might think. A regular cut off saw with a carbide blade will give you a nice even line, and you can rent a rotary hammer drill that will break out the rest fairly quickly.

Thanks for the replies. The wall is a support wall so I cannot move it. I fired the plumber that did the basement drain work. He could never even pass inspection due to leaks in the drain!!! All of the basement drains are not in the correct location so I guess I might as well learn how to move them. Here is a picture of the toilet drain. When I break up the concrete can I just use two elbows then come back up or do I need to slope the the small extension that I am adding?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Was the wall always going to be 6"?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see a vent for the toilet in this picture.

Without knowing what directon the plumbing is coming from, it would be hard to know what the fix would be.
    This is the time, before the wall board goes up, to do the damage, and to make it right. It won't be that big a hole, and patching shouldn't be hard.