(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Soldering 1.5" Pipe...Any Tips?

Question Soldering 1.5" Pipe...Any Tips?

Any tips on how to solder 1.5" pipe? I've done a little soldering on .5 and .75".

I got a short length of pipe and a couple of half damaged fittings to practice with. I got propane, but perhaps I need to pick up MAPP. (I also got acetylene as part of an oxy-acetylene setup) but I don't have a torch tip.

Any particular techniques that differ from small diameter soldering?

I wonder which would be cheaper, a small tank of MAPP for my Bernz-O-Matic head, or a torch tip and hose for my acetylene tank? (The tank is about 4' tall and on a cart but not exactly portable. But the 1.5" pipe is near the tank.)

Default torch

Besides the MAPP gas, which is probably MAPP+ by now which does not heat as hot, you need to have a large enough tip to provide adequate heat. Once you can supply adequate heat to the joint, it does not make any difference which fuel you use.

I am guessing that you are talking about soldering 1.5" DWV copper which isn't as thick as regular copper. I've never tried soldering that with the very basic DIY torch head (you really should be using a turbo torch for this), but I think you'd need to use mapp for sure and keep moving the flame around the tubing to get even heating.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Get a buddy with a second torch and use two at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    ... Once you can supply adequate heat to the joint, it does not make any difference which fuel you use.
    Spend time heating one side before moving to the other side, and the heat will be adequate all round when the second side is hot enough for solder. As HJ says, once you have sufficient heat, it does not matter if it is from a propane flame. If you ask me how long is long enough on the first side, I won't be able to give you a number of seconds because I didn't pay that much attention last time I did it with propane and I never thought I would "train" anyone over the internet. Just think about overheating one side first. Kinda like a BBQ method where the cook makes sure one side is really cooked and that is almost all the piece needs, and then turns it for a light sear on the other side. Make sense?

David

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You don't want to get it so hot you burn out the flux, but move the torch around some.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

i recomend acetylene for sure buy a turbo torch setup use a a-5 tip / pre heat pipe about the depth of the cup this prevents frying the acid then move your tip on to the bottom of the cup draw solder in keep the torch tip in front of the solder while feeding it in over lap your joint etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Basement_Lurker View Post
    I am guessing that you are talking about soldering 1.5" DWV copper which isn't as thick as regular copper. I've never tried soldering that with the very basic DIY torch head (you really should be using a turbo torch for this), but I think you'd need to use mapp for sure and keep moving the flame around the tubing to get even heating.
    No. I was talking about supply pipe for potable water. I wanted to replace a short section of brass pipe on the house main to add a T and someone suggested to me I use thread to copper fittings on both sides and replace the section with copper.

I could avoid soldering all-together by replacing the section in brass which was my first idea anyway. Which way I should go might be a good topic for another thread.

As for a soldering gun, I got a BernzOMatic Trigger Start Torch which may be a Swirl flame I'm guessing from looking at BernzOMatics page. http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORC...0/Default.aspx
    I'm not sure which model I have. I probably have the cheapest one, the TS4000, but I'll have to check tomorrow.

Default torch

Screw it onto the tank, light the torch, and see what kind of flame you get. Pencil flame, no good, because you cannot keep one section hot while you move to another one. Large swirl/brush flame? MAYBE adequate.

Default connection

From your description of the task, you will probably need a union regardless of how you do it. If you are taking a piece of brass, not copper, out, then why not reuse that piece by threading it and using a brass tee?

Looks like handyman4life is feeding us...