Soldering Pipe: How Big With Bernz-O-Matic?

Users who are viewing this thread

TomBrooklyn

Reaction score
Up to what size standard copper pipe can a regular Bernz-O-Matic propane torch work? How about the Bernz-O-Matic with MAPP?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If you are just talking about the very simple DIY plumber's soldering kit that they sell...the one with torch that's basically just a nozzle...I wouldn't bother trying to solder anything over 3/4" with that thing while using propane!

TomBrooklyn

Reaction score
If you are just talking about the very simple DIY plumber's soldering kit that they sell...the one with torch that's basically just a nozzle...I wouldn't bother trying to solder anything over 3/4" with that thing while using propane!
Hi,
I'm not sure what you consider the DIY soldering kit, but I think what I have would be considered that.

I think I have a BernzOMatic TS4000

I might have the TS7000 or TS8000 though. I'll have to go look later.

They're shown on this page... http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/PROFESSIONALTORCHES/tabid/230/Default.aspx

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Those are turbo-torch models...you should be fine. The DIY torch I was talking about was the PK1001KC Brass Torch Plumber's Kit

soldering_kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anything over 3/4" seems to take a long time with one of these torches. I've used a small patch of fiberglass insulation to insulate the other side of the copper while heating to help the copper retain heat on larger pipe. If it's all you've got, you can probably do 1" fine. Bigger will be tough.

Unless I have to carry it up 3 or 4 flights of steps, I'll bring an acetylene torch for anything 1" or bigger.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
torch

Pencil flames are useless for anything other than the smaller sizes. They have insufficient heat, and it is concentrated in a very small area. Larger sizes of copper need a large "brush" flame so it heats a big section of the pipe quickly.

Plumbworker

Plumber
Reaction score
Anything over 3/4" seems to take a long time with one of these torches. I've used a small patch of fiberglass insulation to insulate the other side of the copper while heating to help the copper retain heat on larger pipe. If it's all you've got, you can probably do 1" fine. Bigger will be tough.

Unless I have to carry it up 3 or 4 flights of steps, I'll bring an acetylene torch for anything 1" or bigger.

get a mc tank!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks