Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
st_thomas_tank.jpg

Looking inside the Quattro tank.

We're doing fine. We got our sewer situation under control and the new toilet is great (thanks again)... It's been installed for three months. We've plugged it three times.

The flushing mechanism has broke and I'm at a but of a loss as to what to do to replace it. The problem seems to be that the handle, which screws onto the copper rod that attaches to the chain which lifts the valve leading to the tank, has worn away at the rod to the extent that it now dangles freely from the unit. In other words, it will spin freely in circles without flushing the toilet. I can tell that it's been eating away at the rod because there is a deep worn grove in the copper and when I removed the handle completely, fine copper dust fell from the hole in the handle.
st_thomas_copperdust.jpg

Copper dust from worn handle

Anyway, it seems unfixable. I looked at the St Thomas website and found that any ordering of new parts needs to be handled through the distributer. I was wondering what your take on the situation was, whether or not I could order a replacement part through you, or if the parts are somewhat universal if I might be able to find something that will work at at hardware store?
st_thomas_worn-rod.jpg

The worn rod for the handle

st_thomas_mechanism.jpg

Travis from Blaine

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any generic handle should work on that.
Why did they even bother putting such a complicated handle in the box.

Looking at the small white tube from the fill valve, that should be pointed into the overflow tube to refill the bowl after a flush.
The parts for the St Thomas tank come in a bag, so normally the overflow tube would be farther away from the fill valve. If you were to remove the flush valve, I would put the overflow tube on the far side, making sure that it doesn't block the bolts.
Most toilets come with pre-assembled tanks. I guess St Thomas can't pay people to do that.

The water level in the tank should be within 1/2" of the top of the overflow.
How has the flush been? Or maybe I should ask after the white tube has been positioned into the overflow tube.
Terry

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks