Washing machine trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
My washing machine drain doesn't have a trap. My drain pipe travels straight down to basement , app. 5', and there is no room down there for trap. This means it must be installed inside wall. Since my drain pipe is straight, adding a trap will result in an offset of the pipe.
Is there a way I can install a trap that would eliminate the need to relocate water and drain location behind washing machine?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need a trap. Are you having odor issues? Under the UPC the trap must be 6" to 18" above the floor, so you can't put it "down there".

Since you have a lot of slack on a wm drain hose, why would an offest be a problem? If you are using a wall box for the water supply, that would involve some extra work.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
You need a trap. Are you having odor issues? Under the UPC the trap must be 6" to 18" above the floor, so you can't put it "down there".

Since you have a lot of slack on a wm drain hose, why would an offest be a problem? If you are using a wall box for the water supply, that would involve some extra work.

Yes there is an odor problem. The offset result of adding a trap would mean relocating the wall box. I do not believe there is a way to add the trap that would keep everything in line as it is now. As I stated, there is no room in basement and that is not considered a solution even it it was acceptable. Guess I will have to tear wall out and fix it the way it should have been when installed.
Seems like 90% of every repair job I do is fixing something someone else screwed up. What a waste of time!

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Seems like 90% of every repair job I do is fixing something someone else screwed up. What a waste of time!
Damn straight. I can't count the number of times that I had to spend hours fixing something a "pro" did that saved him 5 minutes. :(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the p-trap if offset from the waste and vent stack.
The p-trap needs to be vented to prevent siphoning.

The trap can't go in the basement, it should be above the floor of the washer being served.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Damn straight. I can't count the number of times that I had to spend hours fixing something a "pro" did that saved him 5 minutes. :(

How do you know a Pro did it? or are you just looking for an excuse to bash licensed plumbers?
Everyone wonders why some threads erupt into name calling. Your post is a prime example of why. Your asseration is most likely to ellicit more than one reply from a "Pro" that is insulted by your comment and rightly so. If we are going to keep track, I'm willing to bet that us "Pro's" spend more time fixing hack work done by diy'ers than the other way around. But who's counting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How do you know a Pro did it? or are you just looking for an excuse to bash licensed plumbers?
Everyone wonders why some threads erupt into name calling. Your post is a prime example of why. Your asseration is most likely to ellicit more than one reply from a "Pro" that is insulted by your comment and rightly so. If we are going to keep track, I'm willing to bet that us "Pro's" spend more time fixing hack work done by diy'ers than the other way around. But who's counting.

Dude, you didn't take that crack about Pro's serious did you?
It takes a "plumbing pro" to know what it's supposed to look like anyway.
I only worry about what the other plumbers and inspectors think.
You know, and I know, that it takes years to perfect the craft.
Someone that is just learning would have no idea of the whys and whynots that you and I know in our sleep.
It's like bread to us brother.
Yeeha!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pro?

I can't count the number of times that I had to spend hours fixing something a "pro" did that saved him 5 minutes.
If a PRO did that, then he was a handyman or diy'er, not a "PRO". And if you have that many errors with PROs, then you are getting them all out of a Crackerjack box. But since this could have been a handyman installation, there could be a concealed trap somewhere and installing a second one would not be an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score

Why does it seem like plumbers are the ones claiming insult and getting all defensive? Yet you bash DIYers. That's not just my observation, but one of several GCs that I've worked with over many years.

A real pro would realize that all fields, including theirs, have a significant percentage of hacks. Mine's got them, concentrated in the geotechnical area. I don't make excuses for them and neither should you. In fact I've reported mine to the State licensing board more than once.

With regards to the DIYer screw-ups that you end up fixing, my guess is that most are your customers who didn't realize that they were making a mistake, but once they realized it called you to repair it, then gladly wrote you a check. Compare that to the plumber, electrician, framer or painter hack that knew he was cutting corners, covered it up and never considered telling me about it, then gladly takes my check. :D

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I can't count the number of times that I had to spend hours fixing something a "pro" did that saved him 5 minutes.

If a PRO did that, then he was a handyman or diy'er, not a "PRO". And if you have that many errors with PROs, then you are getting them all out of a Crackerjack box. But since this could have been a handyman installation, there could be a concealed trap somewhere and installing a second one would not be an improvement.

Oh lookie no sooner did you say that and one of the painters who's redoing my kitchen came over to my office to ask me if I had any paint left over from my dining room. It appears that one of his helpers sanded both sides of a door, even though I told him to only paint the side of the door that I took the hardware off of. His missed both a 6 hour old verbal instruction plus a physical clue.

And these guys were hired by the GC, a guy that owns a reputable renovating business and I have known personally for 6 years. :cool:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think you missed HJ's point and that is that a Professional does not do hack work. Plumbers that do hack work are hack plumbers and yes there are enough hacks in all trades to go around. It's just human nature I suppose. But a real Pro never settles for second rate work.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I think you missed HJ's point and that is that a Professional does not do hack work. Plumbers that do hack work are hack plumbers and yes there are enough hacks in all trades to go around. It's just human nature I suppose. But a real Pro never settles for second rate work.

Well unfortunately that's not the actual definition of Professional. The actual definition is someone who earns money doing that particular task and where it is required is state licensed, therefore has met a certain minimum level of competency. Nothing in that definition precludes some of the crap that I've dealt with over the years.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well unfortunately that's not the actual definition of Professional. The actual definition is someone who earns money doing that particular task and where it is required is state licensed, therefore has met a certain minimum level of competency. Nothing in that definition precludes some of the crap that I've dealt with over the years.

Lets look at the actual definition...

Professional
3 entries found. 1professional (adjective) 2professional (noun) professional corporation

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al
Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1606
1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

Hackers although they may do it for money are not pro's!

:cool:

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Well that's it then, we're all hacks and you are without a doubt the god of plumbing. Guess I'll hang up the ole license and leave the work to you. By the way, if I were you I'd prepare for the coming storm. As for me, I have not time for pointless argument.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Lets look at the actual definition...

Professional
3 entries found. 1professional (adjective) 2professional (noun) professional corporation

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al
Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1606
1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

Hackers although they may do it for money are not pro's!

:cool:

Your state licensing board has a different definition. :D

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Well that's it then, we're all hacks and you are without a doubt the god of plumbing. Guess I'll hang up the ole license and leave the work to you. By the way, if I were you I'd prepare for the coming storm. As for me, I have not time for pointless argument.
I wouldn't call myself a god actually, just a knowledgeable consumer. :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your state licensing board has a different definition. :D

The don't use Merriam-Webster Dictionary in your neck of the woods?

redneck-toilet.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks