Expansion tank sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Can you help recommend a brand/size expansion tank for my HW system.

I currently have one but it is a large, old, steal, bladderless tank recessed in the ceiling. I need to remove it anyways cause I have to sheetrock around the boiler so I am deciding to replace it.

I have a 4 bedroom 2000 sf cape
Full basement
2 bath

http://www.watts.com/pdf/1915356.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Watts has a calculator on their website you can use. You'll need to know some stats for your heating system to get it right.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Do I only need to take into consideration the volume of my boiler or all the piping as well? If so, how do I estimate the 1' copper lengths throughout the house?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need the total volume of water, since all of it can expand and contract. Volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*length. If you get a guess at the total length of pipe, you'll be close. But, I assume those pipes run to radiators? Unless they are finned baseboard, they'll add some. If you get a good approximation, the tanks have a fair range, you should be able to properly select one. there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks