(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement toilet on floor drain?

Default Basement toilet on floor drain?

We are redoing our basement and discovered an old (metal) shower stall behind some wood paneling and a floor drain. So now we are thinking of adding a bathroom. I am swapping the shower for a more contemporary one. Can I put a toilet to drain into the floor drain or do I need to put a separate drain into the slab?
    ps: the floor drain is located about 10 inches next to the main drain pipe. I saw some standing water ~2.5ft in. I tried to augur but cant get much further than 3ft.

thanks!

Pat
    Last edited by 2lefthands; 09-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

You'd have double S-traps in that scenario......which will be a nightmare situation for clogs.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

So then I need to put a new drain to the main drain pipe in? That would require opening up the floor :-(
    Incidentally that old shower drains fine.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A toilet has an internal trap, so even if the drain was big enough, you'd have two traps in a row...not good!

Unless the slab is post tensioned, cracking it to change the plumbing around is messy, but not a horrible job. Keep in mind, though, that the drain lines must have the proper slope, so that might be an issue since the elbow under a toilet would require some depth. You have to also have vent lines for the fixtures, which, depending on how things are layed out, might need to go either up to the roof on its own, or maybe the attic. This could entail breaking up some walls upstairs to route that line. If you are going to redo the shower and plan tile, check out www.johnbridge.com for help on that.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 2lefthands View Post
    So then I need to put a new drain to the main drain pipe in? .....
    No, you keep a portion of that pipe so you are still using it. You remove the part that is now holding water. That is its P Trap. You cut off that part and keep the rest. You add a "closet bend" and send the toilet waste into the pipe without any P trap. (Since toilets already have P traps in them.)

David

A toilet requires at least a 3" drain. Your floor drain may or may not go into a 3" or larger drain. You also have to have a vent for the toilet. You have not indicated if there is a vent for the floor drain. Obviously, there is more to your problem than just removing the floor drain and installing a flange. I think you would be well advised to engage a plumber for this one.

Gary gives excellent advice in his post above...
    I woud heed that advice.

yes, it has to be a 3" drain. Also many other factors can be involved so you do need a professional to look at it.

David

Default Plumbing Toilet

This is definitely not a do it yourself, unless your a plumber

The area you are adding the toilet. Is it close to the outside wall? Would it be possible for you to take the drain out the back and tie in the bathroom group separately to the sewer main? Its an idea, but limited to the position of where you want your bathroom.
    Plumber in Columbia SC
    Plumbing Solutions LLC
    Residential Plumbing & Repair