Connection question

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I am removing my sink drain assembly and all went well until the last bit,
where the drain goes into the wall. The line looks like it goes into a brass piece that has threads on the outside and screws into a galvanized elbow.
It does not budge!! As you can see,I am losing anything to bite into,so I have stopped and will ask here.Thanks in advance.
Alan

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Drain2.jpg
    Drain2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 224

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did they solder that in?

Try scratching it to see.
If it's soldered, you may need to reheat it.

It's supposed to be installed with either a brass ferrel sleeve, or a rubber slip joint washer.

FatDaddy

Reaction score
It was soldered into the threaded brass piece that

was then screwed into the threaded (female) fitting. It looks like a galvanized fitting with lead-wiped pipe connection. I tried heat but chickend out--not wanting to burn the house down.
I used a chisel to remove the existing connections and have purchased a galvanized nipple and pvc trap.
Wish me luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brass

It is a solder bushing adapter. You have to remove the tubular piece, then cut the brass piece out of the fitting, then install a new adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks