New Well

Users who are viewing this thread

weather777

Reaction score
I just had a well drilled on a new homesite.Initally,the yield was 0.3 gpm and after hydro fracture 2.2gpm.The well is 1000 ft deep with static level of 300 ft.The 1.5HP 5gpm pump was set at 640ft down (Therefore,about a 500 gallon reserve) on PVC to save cost that would be involved in setting it at the bottom. There are just 2 people in the home and no yard to water. Does anyone see a problem in setting the pump at this level given the reserve? Anything I should make sure of in regards to the pressure tank, etc. when the well is fully installed in house to insure good shower pressure?

Thank you very much-

Speedbump

Reaction score
A Cycle Sensor or Pumptec and a Cycle Stop Valve would be a great addition. This would help with the pressure your looking for and protect the pump in the event you used a little too much water.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

weather777

Reaction score
Thank you for the information...
Can the Cycle Stop Valve still be added after the pump has been set?

Also--Given the pump is set at 640 feet and the well is 1000ft deep---If the hydro fracture produced the water from veins lower down (i.e. 800 ft) is it problematic as far as the refill rate or is that irrelevant? In other words,did I create any problems by not going deeper with the pump other than loss of additional water storage?

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
No you didn't lose and production. You will simply run out of water when the level gets to the pumps inlet.

You can add a Cycle Stop Valve any time you like.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

weather777

Reaction score
I just had a well drilled on a new homesite.Initally,the yield was 0.3 gpm and after hydro fracture 2.2gpm.The well is 1000 ft deep with static level of 300 ft.The 1.5HP 5gpm pump was set at 640ft down (Therefore,about a 500 gallon reserve) on PVC to save cost that would be involved in setting it at the bottom. There are just 2 people in the home and no yard to water. Does anyone see a problem in setting the pump at this level given the reserve? Anything I should make sure of in regards to the pressure tank, etc. when the well is fully installed in house to insure good shower pressure?

Thank you very much-

Correction to above:Current pump is 8 GPM not 5 GPM

I have been advised by a local well driller I need to change the pump from the Red Jacket 1.5HP 8 GPM to a 5GPM, 2HP pump.Otherwise, we will only have less than 1GPM with very very low pressure.He also advised not to go above a 20 gallon pressure tank as I wanted an 80.

Thank you

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sch 40 or 80 PVC. That much weight hung on sch 40 is a disaster waiting to happen.

Speedbump

Reaction score
My curves are for a 4 and a 7 gpm, but he is probably right about the low pressure shower. It could be kinda low pressure if your in the shower and someone else turns on water. Especially when the well water level has been drawn down near the pump. When it's up near the 300 foot mark, it would work just fine.

If your using a CSV, I agree with him on the tank size. But without it, bigger tank is better.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks