basement drain -

Users who are viewing this thread

bobmac

Reaction score
Excuse my green horns..

There is a floor drain in the basement (laundry room), and it seems to maintain a certain level of water in it.. Is it clogged? or would there be a sub-floor (concrete) U pipe that would keep water in it by design (to prevent sewer gas escaping ?)

Attachments

• HPIM0003.jpg
    HPIM0003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
IT has what is commonly called a P trap. I believe you are calling it a U trap, no real problem, just a different term that plumbers normally use. Blocking sewer gas is exactly what it does. You should know that if the drain goes unused, that water will evaporate and you will get sewer gas. You should pour a quart or two of water into it periodically to prevent it from drying out. Every fixture drain has a trap. Basement showers and floor drains are encased in concrete, toilet traps are part of the toilet, and sink traps are located just below the sink.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
I could use a better close up of the hole.Looks like no Fl. drain I've seen.
Looks like a hole in the floor and??? under it.

bobmac

Reaction score
location is Ontario, Canada. And it is in the basement laundry room (washing machine is 3 feet to the right of the picture), and I did take the cover plate off it to get a picture of the water level.

Even still, it's all good? right ?

Attachments

• drain1.jpg
    drain1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 252

psolutions

Reaction score
The trap shouldnt maintain a water level to that point.. Does this floor drain run directly into your plumbing off your house or is it ran out separately? My thought is that if it was stopping up it would have to be just in the basement line. You should be able to root it and solve the problem easily.

bobmac

Reaction score
I'm assuming it drains/connects into the outbound sewer main at the street (full city sewers - not into septic)

The water level in the first pic is approx 3" below the floor..

So, is this ok ? I poured a quart of water into it, it rose to the top, and eventually returned to the same level..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks