Hot air heat question

Users who are viewing this thread

nyleak

Reaction score
Hello all--I have a Rheem hot air system in my ranch home--and i just installed a new honeywell Thermostat its a 2 wire system--nothing fancy--All works good--I was wondering what would happen if i went on vacation for a week in the winter--and the Thermostat shorted out and kept the heat on--what safety would shut the burner down?? I know this doesnt happen often--but what if it did?? My old RITETEMP digital stat--did just that--But we were home--We set the heat for 70 degs and an hour later it was over 80 in the house and the burner was still running!!! Thanks for any info...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most furnaces have an over-temp shut-down, but it may never get that warm, even if running continuously. It might evenutally overpower the frig and melt things, including all of the candles and maybe even the wax ring on the toilet. It could really mess up things. See what the pros have to say...this is my unprofessional take on that.

The thermostat is basically a switch, so a short in the wires, sloppy installation where the wires could touch, or a shorted thermostat could do it. Many stats have a relay that must be pulled to make the connection, but some are all electronic.

An old mechanical thermostat could do this, too, but is probably less likely (but it isn't all that likely!).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

The thermostat is measuring the heat in the room. It doesn't care how hot the furnace is getting as long as it needs more heat. If it doesn't shut off when the room is at the specified temperature, it will keep the furnace running forever. The furnace high limit switch's duty is to keep it from geting overheated, but it will cycle on and off as the furnace cools and the thermostat says it is still not satisfied. It wouldn't make much sense to put a second section in the thermostat to respond to hotter condititions, because then the user would just assume it was out of calibration, not broken, and start using the override as the main control instead of replacing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks