Leak in basement under tub

Users who are viewing this thread

jami

Reaction score
My in-laws are in town so our one and only bathroom is getting extra use this weekend. I went down in the basement this morning after everyone had showered and found a huge puddle on the basement floor underneath the bathroom with a steady drip coming from overhead. It isn't directly under the tub...more to the side by the edge of the tub. The tub drain is clearly visible, and the pipes are dry. I felt around and couldn't feel any water. I'm guessing that the faucets are dripping behind the wall and it is running behind the tile, down the side of the tub, and then through the floor boards. The dripping stopped a few minutes after the shower ends.

We have sold our house and are set to move in two weeks. THe home inspection last week didn't reveal any problems with the shower/bathtub.

I'll be calling the plumber to repair this on Monday when everyone is gone. What can I expect? Will the plumber be able to repair a leak behind the wall without removing the tile? Is it likely this has been a small leak until now and there is serious water damage behind the tile? UGH!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you sure some people just didn't get the shower curtain/door closed all of the way?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lots of times you can look in from the rear access ( HOPEFULLY!) and will see/feel water at area to the front of the tub (faucet end) were the skirt meets the floor. Otherwise check the overflow washer for dry-rot. These are the two cheapest leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks