(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Soldering Pipe: How Big With Bernz-O-Matic?

Question Soldering Pipe: How Big With Bernz-O-Matic?

Up to what size standard copper pipe can a regular Bernz-O-Matic propane torch work? How about the Bernz-O-Matic with MAPP?

Propane up to about 1" Mapp 2"

If you are just talking about the very simple DIY plumber's soldering kit that they sell...the one with torch that's basically just a nozzle...I wouldn't bother trying to solder anything over 3/4" with that thing while using propane!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Basement_Lurker View Post
    If you are just talking about the very simple DIY plumber's soldering kit that they sell...the one with torch that's basically just a nozzle...I wouldn't bother trying to solder anything over 3/4" with that thing while using propane!
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what you consider the DIY soldering kit, but I think what I have would be considered that.

I think I have a BernzOMatic TS4000

I might have the TS7000 or TS8000 though. I'll have to go look later.

They're shown on this page... http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORC...0/Default.aspx

Those are turbo-torch models...you should be fine. The DIY torch I was talking about was the PK1001KC Brass Torch Plumber's Kit

Last edited by Terry; 06-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Anything over 3/4" seems to take a long time with one of these torches. I've used a small patch of fiberglass insulation to insulate the other side of the copper while heating to help the copper retain heat on larger pipe. If it's all you've got, you can probably do 1" fine. Bigger will be tough.

Unless I have to carry it up 3 or 4 flights of steps, I'll bring an acetylene torch for anything 1" or bigger.

Default torch

Pencil flames are useless for anything other than the smaller sizes. They have insufficient heat, and it is concentrated in a very small area. Larger sizes of copper need a large "brush" flame so it heats a big section of the pipe quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
    Anything over 3/4" seems to take a long time with one of these torches. I've used a small patch of fiberglass insulation to insulate the other side of the copper while heating to help the copper retain heat on larger pipe. If it's all you've got, you can probably do 1" fine. Bigger will be tough.

Unless I have to carry it up 3 or 4 flights of steps, I'll bring an acetylene torch for anything 1" or bigger.
    get a mc tank!!