kenmore clothes dryer does not run

Users who are viewing this thread

cobrastring

Reaction score
need some advice as to why my kenmore dryer wont work -- will not work at all -- just getting a small humming when we turn it on now -- had the local appliance guy come in and he changed some sort of two prong switch or relay
(i was not around when he did the call) it only worked one time after he changed the part(5 min) and cost me $50.00 -- used the dryer once and it still does the same sound -- checked the vents and they are clean -- dryer is about 9 - 10 years old ---- any ideas out there would be really appreciated -- i am not too electronically inclined so plain english please -- i already had some good advice on another project this summer from you folks and it was very helpful to me --- hope you can still help me
thanks

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Could be the belt you can check that or the bearings in the motor are locked up, they are sealed so you have to replace the motor to fix it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the drum can be rotated by hand, I would first look to see if the belt is broken. Could be the door switch, but in that case it would not "hum".

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
(i was not around when he did the call)
Be glad you weren't...
nick.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The appliance guy I deal with charges a fee to come out and tell you what is wrong and the cost to fix it...then it is your choice as to weather you want it fixed or not...if he is wrong he eats it because you paid for his expertise...a good appliance guy with any experience will know in a few min. just what is wrong with any appliance with the exception of a brand new unit that hasn't been around long ...a dryer is a piece of cake...they have barely changed in 50 years...a heating source and an exhaust blower coupled with a rotating drum, door switches and thermal switches.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hum

A humming sound usually means the motor is trying to start but cannot, either because it is defective or the drum is stuck. If it is the same problem then his guarantee should fix it. We would not want to give you advice that made you replace something and then find out that it was not the problem in the first place. Many repair people do that already.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you manually turn the dryer drum? If you can't, the motor will have troubles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks