New Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been racking my brain on deciding what kind of water heater to use in my new place. I have a takagi tankless I installed in my current house to replace an old gas fired tank. We only had forced air heat. I've been very happy with it for 3years now.

In the new place there is a boiler that I have broken out into several zones. The water heater there now is a Bradford White Nat gas due for replacement.

Was trying to decide if another "larger" tankless is a better option than an indirect. I don't have any experience with indirect but I like what I'm reading.
Since I have the boiler there I figured this is a good option. The boiler isn't new it's a Nat Gas Slant fin that is prob 20years old. I'm not replacing it now but figured I could tap off another zone to run an indirect.

I looked at weil-mclain, burnham and slant-fin's tanks and I think I get the best bang for the buck on the slant fin. It is a stainless tank w/ a lifetime warranty, good first hour recovery, and not bad in price.

I'm not sure how best to size my unit. We are 2/4 people in a house with 4.5 baths. I was thinking the 50 gal unit. No whirlpools to fill here.

Any advice or suggestions?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Just looked into the Amtrol. Looks like my plumbing supply house carries that brand. They have a whole bunch of differnent models. Any recommendation on what is good, wasn't feeling their plastic lined tanks.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Redwood,

I'm in CT also, how does the pricing compare on the Super-Stor to other units? Are they common around here? I'm going to call my plumbing house tomorrow since that MFG isn't listed on their website.

I like the specs, I would probably go for a ssu-45 or ssu-60 depending on price.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't recall pricing it''s been a while since I did one...
They are made in Mass. so they are one of the local brands.
Call around to several supply houses to find someone that carries them...
The all stainless is a good feature...
A lot better than a plastic tank with a corroded metal fitting attached to it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

1. Make sure the boiler has enough capacity for the heater. It is not FREE heat.
2. Make sure you want to commit yourself to running the boiler 12 months every year.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I know about the free heat. My boiler is oversized as it stands now, mainly because I took a 4000sq ft 1zone house and broke it into 8 zones. Although the heat load is still the same for the house the individual zones means that only a fraction of the house is every being heating.

I'm not replacing the boiler since it isn't in my budget, maybe in a year or two for a more efficient unit.

I'm not very happy about running a boiler year round. I have it off now because it was costing me around $30-40month to keep it running in the non-winter months. The aquastat has a low-limit.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I thought you would find that interesting...
I believe if you don't save 10% it's money back guaranteed!:cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks