Should I install a cleanout for new toilet drain installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

redgreen

Reaction score
The drain coming from the main floor toilet comes through the basement ceiling and I was going to just add a 90, then a 5 foot horizontal run before it will enter a san-tee that I will add to an existing vertical stack which goes to a second story bath.

Instead of the 90 can I install a wye on it's back, add a 45 to connect the toilet, the downstream of the wye will connect to my 5 foot run and on the other end of the wye I was going to extend it a foot longer and add a cleanout. Is adding a cleanout as I described a good idea and is it allowed as I described?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

NOTHING about what you describe is a good idea, nor is it legal or proper. Or rather maybe the cleanout is the only part of it that MIGHT be a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks