Replacing Cast Iron Drain Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyDavis

Reaction score
While investigating some issues that cropped up with a remodeling (see my other post), the guy with the camera ran it down the main drains and indicated that one of them has extensive rot (the bottom has rusted out). The existing pipe is cast iron.

This drain runs from our laundry room to the kitchen and then to the main cleanout. He is proposing to run new PVC drain pipe just ouside the foundation and connect to the drains inside the house, and then connect down the line to the main drain as it goes to the city sewers.

My wife saw the video and said it looked like the bottom was simply missing from the pipe. There were also roots.

We never have issues with the kitchen sink backing up, but when our old washing machine would drain, the water would rise into the utility sink. We have since replaced it with a low water model and don't see that anymore.

I pulled the two cleanouts (one at the laundry, one at the kitchen), filled the kitchen and laundry sinks, and then let them go at the same time. Not suprisingly, both cleanouts gushed water, if I just run the taps full blast, nothing comes out the cleanouts.

So. I know I have a slow drain on that side of the house. I'm pretty sure that I have some drain pipe damage. The big question is what do I do about it? I don't want to try and save a few bucks (ok, a lot of bucks) and risk serious foundation damage. On the other hand, I don't want to be a chump and pay for a lot of work that I don't really need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

-Andy

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Since there is video evidence of a rusted out cast iron building drain, I believe the answer is obvious. You need to have the piping replaced.

Good luck

AndyDavis

Reaction score
I think my question is more about the urgancy.

Assuming that the drain is not backing up, is this something that I should get to in the next two weeks, the next two months, or the next two years?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I may not be backing up, but you still have a problem. I think you should look at getting this done in the near future, the sooner the better, but not an emergency rush job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks