Imploding water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dilbert

Reaction score
I recently replaced some pipe in my basement. I put them back in the same locations and didn't make any changes to how things ran.

While I am not a plumber, and don't play one on TV, these were not bent in like this last week.

Could it be something I did, or is there a bigger problem with my water heater?

Thanks, Cliff

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you close both the inlet and outlet of the water heater than allow it to cool?

Kinda the opposite of thermal expansion...

Dilbert

Reaction score
After I reconnected?
It was disconnected for several hours, and turned off most of the day.
Then I turned the water back on, refilled the tank, ensured there were no leaks and turned the pilot on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A related question, maybe I'm missing it, but where it the T&P valve?

Dilbert

Reaction score
Umm, as I said in the first post, I'm not a plumber, just a guy with a lot of tools who is a little too fearless.

What is a T&P valve? I guess just asking that question means I'm in trouble.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What I'm asking is if there was anytime when the water heater was in effect a closed container while it was cooling. If you were to take a 1 gallon tin and heat it in a pan of boiling water then screw on the cover and take it off the heat it would collapse....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The T&P valve is seen in the first and last picture side mounted next to the yellow energy guide label...
The smoke pipe installation doesn't look to good.

Dilbert

Reaction score
What I'm asking is if there was anytime when the water heater was in effect a closed container while it was cooling. If you were to take a 1 gallon tin and heat it in a pan of boiling water then screw on the cover and take it off the heat it would collapse....
This isn't impossible.
I turned off the supply to the heater, then turned it off. I thought I drained it too.
It may have cooled while warm, with no way to relieve pressure, either negative or positive.
It's not leaking now, other than looking terrible, did I cause permanent damage?

Dilbert

Reaction score
The T&P valve is seen in the first and last picture side mounted next to the yellow energy guide label...
Is it OK? This was the one that was there, I put it back where it was.
The smoke pipe installation doesn't look to good.
I agree, but this was not me. :)
I did not move the heater, this is the way it was when we moved in last year.

Dilbert

Reaction score
Have a licensed plumber replace the water heater before you end up on the 11 0'clock news with family members scattered all over your front lawn.
Is this a real concern, or are you being facetious?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You have a malfunctioning water heater in your home that's allowing the structure of the device to collapse.

How many lives are you willing to gamble on this situation?

Shut the unit down

Most if not all would be on the phone with a plumber getting scheduled to have that device looked at, diagnosed and replaced.

It can't be made any clearer than the concern that led you to post these pictures and start a thread over it...is it?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
bad water heater

It looks like it has overheated some time in the past..

close to the boiling point..

I think you would be wise to change it out, it really does

look like it has been stretched out to its limit...

you ought ot change it before it takes out a room or two..

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater

I know exactly what happened to your water heater i have seen that many times before ! !

You have a excessive pressure bulge, caused by not having thermal expansion tank inSTALLED per mfg's spec's
you need the tank between the shut off ball valve and the water heater, when you turned the water heater off it caused excess
pressure to build up and invert the tank ! ! !
YOU HAVE A CHECK VALVE ON THE COLD WATER INLET, YOU MUST HAVE THERMAL EXPANSION TANK BETWEEN ANY VALVES AND THE WATER HEATER

If you look in the fire box you will see the tank setting down on
top of the burner,

this will cause carbon monoxide because the burner cannot burn correctly,
so yes shut heater down now ! !
And get replaced a. S. A. P. Be sure thermal expansion tank is moved to after the shut off valve or you could have the same problem again
e-mail me if you have any more questions

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score

also have plumber correct your vent problem, it may have been that way when you moved in, ! !
But it is you and your family that will suffer because of the incorrect install of this water heater
thats why you should always have a professional do the install and get it inspected by your town people

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Judging by what I see in the back ground (DWV) and the heater vent I will guess this was a DIY install...It does appear that there is an expansion tank (failed?) but perhaps that tank is part of the heating system...can't tell from the pic

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

Whatever the reason the tank was subjected to pressure beyond its working pressure, and maybe even beyond its test pressure. The top "bulged" up, but the flue liner held the center down which is why the pipes bent inward. Discard the tank because it has been damaged beyond repair and its integrity has been compromised. At this time there is no way to tell why it happened.

RRW

Reaction score
Thanks hj for the explanation of why the pipes showed the way they do. It makes sense. One question, would this type of flexing cause the glass liner to crack and greatly shorten the service life even if it did not fail from other reasons?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks