Washing machine smelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Valve

Reaction score
I replaced the direct drive link on my Kenmore 80 series washer. I never noticed a bad smell until after the replacement. Kinda like a dirty mildewed sock but different. I thought it might be sewer gas but I don't think so.

The direct link has nothing to do with the smell obviously but I'm thinking the fact that I had the washer on it's side might have been the start of it somehow.

I've done an empty load a few times with bleach and it goes away temporarily then it comes right back.

The washer's about 5 feet from the return air vent for the house. I want to avoid the smell getting into the house too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It may be related to the work. I would fill the washer to max and add some disinfectant...not bleach, but pinesol or lysol. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then let it pump out.

Most washing machines should NEVER be tipped on their side. In my experience, ,most can be tipped onto their back, but never on their front or sides. You can damage some of the tub fittings that way. I would be on the lookout for a leak for a while.

Macman

Reaction score
Here's a link to a place that sells some stuff that's supposed to handle this problem. No, I don't have any business interest in it, but I did purchase the product and use it once a month just as a preventative. Didn't have a smelly washer, but don't want one either.

http://www.smellywasher.com/

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Washing machine

I have done repair on washers for many many years and have tipped washers on their front without any problems
get the smelly washer agent and then post back here

or go to

samuria@appliance repair forum

51f1

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner with a Kenmore toploader washer, and have had "that smell" a couple times. In my case, it is gunk collected on the tub top rim. I used a bottle brush, and some water with bleach in it. It is hard to reach with hands, but brush does the trick, and the gunk and water drops down into the exterior lining of the tub, and drains out with the next load. 'Seems to be an almost annual thing.

Valve

Reaction score
PineSol worked very well. I ran 3 hot wash and soak cycles w/out draining and it really helped. It doesn't just smell like Pinesol covering up mold, smells clean.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have used 1/2 gal. of bleach with a small box of TSP and hot water.

I run the washer on full with no clothes and don't allow it to dump the water until It has gone through 4 washing cycles. I keep resetting it.

This has worked for me.

I do not use fake TSP...I use real TSP.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Alot of people leave their washer door closed after washing. I always leave mine open. I do have a top loading one though, but, what would it matter if it weren't? Plus, I use Borax in my laundry sometimes and it is good for cleaning, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks