(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Washing machine smelling

Default Washing machine smelling

I replaced the direct drive link on my Kenmore 80 series washer. I never noticed a bad smell until after the replacement. Kinda like a dirty mildewed sock but different. I thought it might be sewer gas but I don't think so.

The direct link has nothing to do with the smell obviously but I'm thinking the fact that I had the washer on it's side might have been the start of it somehow.

I've done an empty load a few times with bleach and it goes away temporarily then it comes right back.

The washer's about 5 feet from the return air vent for the house. I want to avoid the smell getting into the house too.

It may be related to the work. I would fill the washer to max and add some disinfectant...not bleach, but pinesol or lysol. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then let it pump out.

Most washing machines should NEVER be tipped on their side. In my experience, ,most can be tipped onto their back, but never on their front or sides. You can damage some of the tub fittings that way. I would be on the lookout for a leak for a while.

Here's a link to a place that sells some stuff that's supposed to handle this problem. No, I don't have any business interest in it, but I did purchase the product and use it once a month just as a preventative. Didn't have a smelly washer, but don't want one either.

http://www.smellywasher.com/

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Washing machine

I have done repair on washers for many many years and have tipped washers on their front without any problems
    get the smelly washer agent and then post back here

or go to

samuria@appliance repair forum

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

I'm a homeowner with a Kenmore toploader washer, and have had "that smell" a couple times. In my case, it is gunk collected on the tub top rim. I used a bottle brush, and some water with bleach in it. It is hard to reach with hands, but brush does the trick, and the gunk and water drops down into the exterior lining of the tub, and drains out with the next load. 'Seems to be an almost annual thing.

PineSol worked very well. I ran 3 hot wash and soak cycles w/out draining and it really helped. It doesn't just smell like Pinesol covering up mold, smells clean.

I have used 1/2 gal. of bleach with a small box of TSP and hot water.

I run the washer on full with no clothes and don't allow it to dump the water until It has gone through 4 washing cycles. I keep resetting it.

This has worked for me.

I do not use fake TSP...I use real TSP.
    Last edited by Cass; 10-06-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Alot of people leave their washer door closed after washing. I always leave mine open. I do have a top loading one though, but, what would it matter if it weren't? Plus, I use Borax in my laundry sometimes and it is good for cleaning, too.