Basement Toilet Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ronmax999

Reaction score
I just built a house last year and had a bathroom stubbed in. I am now considering putting the bathroom in but I have found that the toilet drain that is coming out of the slab is only nine and half inches from the studs. I believe that it should be twelve and a half inches. Besides ripping up the concrete and moving the drain out three inches what other options are there? Also, if I do move the drain using two elbows, what should I be concerned about?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would give you only 9" after drywall.
That severly limits you.

I would break concrete and move the drain out.
Without seeing a picture, it's hard to say which fittings you will need.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

10" toilets typically have very little latitude so unless the finish dimension was exactly 10" or more you would probably have a problem unless you move the opening. Whether you need a coupling, 1/16 bend, or 1/8 bend will not be apparent until you open the floor and see what you are working with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like the plumber didn't plan for a studwall at all. If you can move it, that certainly would make things easier.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do what you have to do to get a flange in the right position. If you can do it by moving studs, that would perhaps be the simplest way to go, but if that isn't a good option, it's time to break out concrete. Breaking concrete out of a floor isn't the most fun thing to do on a weekend, but it really isn't as bad as one might think. A regular cut off saw with a carbide blade will give you a nice even line, and you can rent a rotary hammer drill that will break out the rest fairly quickly.

ronmax999

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The wall is a support wall so I cannot move it. I fired the plumber that did the basement drain work. He could never even pass inspection due to leaks in the drain!!! All of the basement drains are not in the correct location so I guess I might as well learn how to move them. Here is a picture of the toilet drain. When I break up the concrete can I just use two elbows then come back up or do I need to slope the the small extension that I am adding?

Attachments

• plumbbasement.JPG
    plumbbasement.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 724

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see a vent for the toilet in this picture.

Without knowing what directon the plumbing is coming from, it would be hard to know what the fix would be.
This is the time, before the wall board goes up, to do the damage, and to make it right. It won't be that big a hole, and patching shouldn't be hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks