Kohler tub tile edge and finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I'm getting confused information from Kohler.
In looking for a cast iron tub I focused on the Villager, K-714.

Does it or doesn't it have a tile edge?

The specifications do not list it, the installation instructions do not illustrate it and customer service says it is not provided, but the photo and isometric drawing show it.

The only place I see "enamel" is on the installation instructions. Is it a baked on enamel finish or is there something in the fine print that make whatever the installation instructions say eligible for "change without notice?"

This is the usual slop I get from manufacturers. The message is "just buy it and go away." It would be so refreshing to find some pride in a product.

Have you put your hands on the Kohler cast iron tubs to know they do or don't have a tiling edge? Or is this a case of me needing to go to a warehouse and open a box?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I'm getting confused information from Kolher.
In looking for a cast iron tub I focused on the Villager, K-714.

Does it or doesn't it have a tile edge?

The specifications do not list it, the installation instructions do not illustrate it and customer service says it is not provided, but the photo and isometric drawing show it.

The only place I see "enamel" is on the installation instructions. Is it a baked on enamel finish or is there something in the fine print that make whatever the installation instructions say eligible for "change without notice?"

This is the usual slop I get from manufacturers. The message is "just buy it and go away." It would be so refreshing to find some pride in a product.

Have you put your hands on the Kolher cast iron tubs to know they do or don't have a tiling edge? Or is this a case of me needing to go to a warehouse and open a box?

Thank you.

Hi TB,
The tile 'lip' on cast iron tubs is not the most obvious thing, visually, but it's most definitely there.

You need to be very sure that the tub has been installed level in both directions, or as close as possible. Then make sure that you silicone caulk the joint where the concrete board meets the tiling lip.

Also make sure that you shim/fir the walls out if the tub area framing is substantially longer than the tub itself.

This is very often the case. It's just important that the lip be as far underneath the edge of the 1/2" board as it can be for the most leak protection.

As long as you also caulk where the tile meets the tub shoulder, you'll have a 'two-bagger' that will work no matter what you throw at it.

HE

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubs

ALL conventional alcove tubs have a tile flange whether it is an upraised section on a cast iron tub, or a bent flange on a steel or fiberglass tub. Normally there is no reason to mention it, unless the tub does not have one and you have to purchase an add on to make one. This is the normal situation with drop in tubs, and others designed to sit on an oversized raised platform with tile around all four sides. They need an addon flange kit when used in a alcove installation with one or more sides against the walls.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
run your vapor barrier over the tile flange, caulk the seam. If you don't shim the studs or recess the tub, you don't want to have the cbu bow out by going over the flange, so you can go just shy of butting it, but make sure the vapor barrier goes over the flange. Leave it long then trim after the cbu is up often is the best way. There should be a small gap below the cbu to the tub horizontal surface that needs to be caulked - don't rest the cbu on the surface of the tub.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Thanks ... and ... who else makes stand alcove cast iron tubs?

Thank you.

I'm glad common sense rules in this case even if manufacturer isn't sure.

Jimbo - I don't know why you posted the specification link. Do you see in there where it says there is a tile edge?

Are there other manufacturer's of standard 5 foot alcove cast iron tubs than American Standard and Kohler? I spent some time Googling and other than claw foot tubs nothing is coming up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks