(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Small bathroom

Talking Small bathroom

Would like to add a bathroom (toilet, lav and stall shower) What is the best and smallest configuration for same. Please detail code clearances for each fixture.

Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A shower stall must be a minimum of 30" square (and unless you are a child you will find this very restricting). A toilet needs a minimum of 15" either side of center. I think there's a minimum distance in front, too, but I don't know it. Most places want 24" in front of the sink, but that varies. You really need to check your local inspector, as that's what counts.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If you install a 30" shower you can't put a door on it because if you drop the soap you have to exit the shower to pick it up.

Default shower

You are supposed to lift with your knees, not your back so you should be able to stoop down to pick up the soap, not bend over.

Yea but then you slam your forehead on the shower valve.

I have a 30" shower stall in my basement bathroom. I will certainly concede the fact that it is a tight fit, but this bathroom is intended for the few times we have overnight guests and need a second bathroom. It is not for daily use. As HJ says, bend your knees not your back to pick up the soap. I have a Sterling glass door on the stall and it works very well. If you can figure out how to fit a larger stall in the space you have, by all means do so, but a 30" Lasco works.

The code says that the shower has to be 900 square inches. Most 32 x 32 showers do not have 900 sq. in. in. inside measurment. I don't think by code you can install anything smaller that a 36" rough opening shower.

Duh, you get your wife to pick up the soap. My husband could never hold onto that soap, I never understood why.