sewage ejector pump

Users who are viewing this thread

JW19511951

Reaction score
My house is about 25 years old and the basement has a bathroom with a sewage ejector pump in the basement slab about 4 feet below the waste line going out into the septic tank. About a month ago while taking a shower in that bathroom, water started coming up where the toilet bowl meets the floor. There was a flood but nothing serious. Called a plumber but by the time he got there (several hours later) the pump started working again. He told us to make sure nothing but Scott tissue was used in that bathroom (or other "septic-safe" toilet paper) and we should have no problem. Well, we've been very careful but the problem has come back and the pump has stopped working (fortunately only a minor flood this time) Before I call a plumber are there some common-sense methods I should try to free up the pump? Will simply waiting a week or so maybe solve the problem?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Is the float stuck or something? Also, install an alarm float so you know you have a problem before you actually have a problem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does the system use the double plug type float switch where the pump plugs into the float switch plug then plugs into the recept?

21813_300.jpg

JW19511951

Reaction score
I'm not sure. There's one wire sticking out of the top that plugs into an outlet. I don't see a double plug like the one pictured.

JW19511951

Reaction score
So how much will this job set me back? Is is possible the pump is just clogged or stuck?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It depends on where you are.
Prices vary widely across this country.
It also depends on whether or not the pump has failed.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My rule is, If I pull it, I replace it. Same goes for submersible water pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks